This juicy Avocado Chicken is a delicious, flavor-packed dish that’s super easy to make for a Whole-30 meal the entire family will love!
Fresh avocado, cilantro, chicken… are you thinking what I’m thinking? This is going to be the type of recipe you’re going to want to make on repeat!
This simply prepared chicken is topped with a fresh homemade avocado salsa that comes together easily with that freezer stash of chicken breasts you keep handy at all times.
I can’t be the only one that has a freezer full of protein to whip up meals quickly, right?
If you know me, you know I’m all about making ONE dish for the whole family, and most often, the ingredient of choice is chicken. It’s high in protein, super versatile, and everyone loves it, which is why it’s the main ingredient for many of the whole 30 and paleo-inspired recipes on this website.
Best Avocado Chicken
This Avocado Chicken is quickly becoming everyone’s favorite, and it’s no wonder why. It’s quickly pan-seared chicken in a cilantro lime marinade and topped with zesty avocado salsa- the flavors practically melt in your mouth, and it’s ready to eat in 30 minutes.
I usually serve it over a bed of fresh greens or roasted vegetables and you have a satiating meal that’s delicious and supports your healthy eating goals.
Making the Cilantro Lime Marinade
This quick marinade is made with 6 ingredients and packs SO much flavor. You can use it to take any baked or sautéed chicken recipe up a notch (or two)!
Here’s what you’ll need from the fridge and spice rack to make the cilantro lime marinade:
- Fresh lime juice
- Olive oil
- Fresh cilantro
- Garlic clove, grated
The bonus for this recipe is that since it’s a citrus marinade, it only needs 20 minutes to marinate making this an optimal recipe to make any night of the week.
Easy Avocado Salsa
Avocado salsa is made with guacamole ingredients, but instead of a creamy dip, it’s a delicious salsa that’s ready to eat in less than 5 minutes. Grab the ingredients below, and let’s make this magic avocado goodness happen:
- Shallot or red onion
- Lime juice
This salsa is fresh and super easy to whip up. I personally love the simplicity of ingredients that allow the delicious chicken flavors to shine through. You’ll want to mound this salsa over the grilled chicken or add it to your favorite tacos, salads, and anything your heart desires.
How to Make This Cilantro Lime Avocado Chicken
We are T-minus 30 minutes from tasting the best chicken of your life! Grab your ingredients, and let’s get started.
In a bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients. Add to a large zip bag along with the chicken breasts. Seal and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Give it a Sear
In a large pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet and cook on both sides until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165F. Remove from heat and allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Grab a bowl
Meanwhile, add the avocado, shallots, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Toss everything to combine, and voila!
- Dish up
Serve the avocado salsa over the chicken breasts, grab a fork, and enjoy!
I know the chicken is photographed on a sheet pan, this is for look only. It’s cooked on a pan, over the stove.
You can watch it all come together in this recipe video.
More Ways to Prepare Avocado Chicken
I wasn’t kidding when I said chicken is one of the most versatile ingredients, and thankfully with this recipe, there is more than one way to prepare it!
On the Grill
- Preheat the grill to 350F.
- Marinate the chicken
- Cook on the grill, 5 to 7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
In the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken breasts onto the baking sheet and bake until the internal temperature reaches 165F, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before topping with avocado salsa and serving.
The Trick for Juicy Chicken
Making perfect, juicy chicken is all in cooking by temperature, not time, which is why I suggest keeping a meat thermometer on hand.
Chicken breast is best at 165F and not a digit over. For dark meat cuts such as thighs, leg quarters, and drumsticks, the meat should be cooked to 175F.
It also helps to make sure your skillet is HOT before adding the chicken. This will give the meat a nice sear on both sides and help lock in those juices.
Is this Cilantro Lime Avocado Chicken Paleo?
Looking for a low-carb, paleo meal that will have everyone asking for seconds? This is it! The flavor of this Cilantro Lime Avocado Chicken is unbeatable, and I love that it supplies an excellent source of healthy fats and lean protein.
This recipe is the kind you’ll find in my Family Kickstart Program, it’s a clean eating guide and meal plan made for families, with recipes everyone will look forward to eating. It’s a game-changer if you’re looking for a way to eat better as a family and stick to your health goals.
What to Serve with This Healthy Avocado Chicken Recipe
The chicken and avocado salsa is incredible all on its own, but let’s make this a well-rounded meal with a few veggie side dishes.
The options below are low-carb, but if carbs aren’t a problem, you definitely want to serve this healthy chicken with the Roasted Fingerling Potatoes. Buttery soft potatoes with crispy skins paired with the chicken and the avocado salsa, and it’s PURE HEAVEN!
Check out these recipes to serve with the chicken:
- Garlic Fingerling Potatoes
- Healthy Broccoli Tots
- Easy Roasted Vegetables
- Parmesan Green Beans
- Spiralized Zucchini & Tomatoes
Avocado Chicken with Cilantro Lime
Juicy Cilantro Lime Avocado Chicken is a fresh and simple recipe you’ll be making on repeat with the BEST marinade ever!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: Dinner
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the Marinade:
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless chicken breasts
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking
For the Avocado topping:
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped or ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For Cilantro Lime Rice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- Add chicken and marinade ingredients to a large zip bag. Let chicken marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large pan or cast-iron skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts in the pan, discard the marinade, and cook for about 6 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 4 to 6 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- While the chicken cooks, make the avocado topping by combining the diced avocadoes with the shallots, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Serve the chicken breasts topped with avocado salsa. Sprinkle with additional chopped cilantro and lime juice.
For the Cilantro Rice:
- Add cilantro, lime juice, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cauliflower rice, mix to combine.
- Heat in the microwave or on a pan, over medium heat, and serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast with ½ cup avocado salsa
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Sodium: 254mg
- Fat: 14.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 28.1g
- Cholesterol: 82g
Keywords: avocado chicken, cilantro lime chicken, whole30 chicken reicpes
Other Whole30 Chicken Recipes
Looking for more Whole30 and Paleo approved chicken recipes? I’ve got you covered with these: