February 8, 2016
Do you love tomato soup but still feel hungry and left wanting more? The classic tomato soup just got a veggie-filled update. This is the perfect tomato soup to serve with a grilled cheese sandwich on a chilly day.
Sometimes I just want soup and other times I have a fridge full of vegetables that I am in a hurry to cook before having to toss them out. This soup is perfect for both occasions. It has the classic flavors of traditional tomato soup, but unlike traditional tomato soup, this one is loaded with veggies and much more filling.
Is there anything more comforting than a grilled cheese sandwich with a big bowl of warm tomato soup? That combo is definitely a classic. Especially when the temperatures are dropping (by dropping, I mean in the 50s in Louisiana), I start craving hearty bowls of chili and soup. One of my favorite recipes to make is my Paleo Chili, but sometimes I need something that cooks a little faster to use up the veggies that are about to go bad in my fridge. Anyone else always have a few sad vegetables left in their fridge at the end of the week?
This recipe is from my cookbook The Best Homemade Kids’ Lunches on the Planet, so it’s been around for awhile and is definitely a family favorite. I surely don’t mind when my kids beg me to cook something that I know has tons of veggies in it. Healthy + tasty = a meal everyone can get on board with.
Healthier versions of my family’s favorite recipes are what makes clean eating as a whole family doable. Every year we’ll even eliminate processed foods and sugars for a whole month at a time. And it’s recipes like this that make it possible!
After successfully doing it for years with my kids, I created a comprehensive program to help other families eat fresh, whole foods together. Check ou the Family KickStart Program here.
Quick & Easy Tomato Soup
I love to make this soup on the weekends when my whole family can snuggle up with dinner and a movie. There’s really nothing better than enjoying a healthy meal with my family! It’s even better when dinner is extra delicious and takes 30 minutes to cook, like this soup plus a grilled cheese. Followed by some chocolate for dessert, of course!
While this soup is a hit for dinner, it definitely works work great for your weekly lunch meal prep. It goes great in thermoses! Your kids will love having something warm and satisfying for lunch, and you’ll love that they got their veggies in. It’s a win for everyone!
Don’t let those leftover veggies go to waste and make some Tomato Vegetable Soup instead!
Tomato Veggie Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 84 ounce canned crushed tomatoes or puréed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, celery, onions and garlic. Sauté until veggies are soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, puree in a blender until almost smooth. Return soup to the stove, and simmer until thick, 10-20 minutes. The longer you simmer this soup the thicker and more flavorful it will become. You can simmer up to 2 hours. If the soup is too thick for your family, add additional cup of vegetable stock.