This veggie tortilla soup is perfect for days when you want a simple meal that’s also delicious.
Up your vegetable intake with this easy-to-make nutritious soup.
Tortilla Soup with Vegetables
This simple one-pot soup proves that you can combine simple ingredients and infuse them with flavor. Adding the black beans paired with the rest of the veggies is the perfect way to add fiber and protein while filling everyone’s bellies.
This is the perfect weeknight meal because it’s quick to make, and it makes a large enough batch to have leftovers that taste great the next day. Talk about a great way to meal prep for the week!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy vegetable tortilla soup recipe:
- Olive oil: to sauté the veggies in the pot.
- Onion: always flavorful as a base. Chop up a fresh one or use pre-chopped or frozen to save time.
- Garlic cloves: for adding flavor.
- Tomato paste: adds depth of flavor and thickens the base.
- Ground cumin: for flavor.
- Chili powder: for flavor.
- Smoked paprika: regular or Spanish paprika can be used too.
- Salt: for seasoning.
- Vegetable broth or stock: regular or low sodium, whichever you prefer.
- Fresh cilantro: chop it up for more flavor.
- Carrots: use a food processor to chop the carrots quickly and finely.
- Diced tomatoes: drain the excess liquid.
- Black beans: rinse and drain before adding.
- Zucchini: cut them into ½-inch cubes.
- Avocado: sliced to add on top.
- Shredded Cheddar cheese: any type of shredded cheese will work.
- Whole wheat dinner rolls: optional for serving and delicious.
As always, check the recipe card for the ingredient amounts and detailed cooking directions.
How to Make Tortilla Soup
If you can chop a little, add some ingredients to a pot, and stir, you can make this recipe! Follow the step-by-step instructions to make simple tortilla soup with veggies.
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook while frequently stirring until they’re soft and translucent.
Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and salt. Add the broth, half the cilantro, carrots, and tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the black beans and zucchini, cover, and continue to simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the zucchini is tender.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with sliced avocado and cheese to serve.
How to Thicken Tortilla Soup
To thicken tortilla soup, you can add a 1 tablespoon of cornstarch + 1 tablespoon of water into a small dish, mix it, and dump the slurry into the soup. Heat it up, and within a few minutes of simmering, the soup should be thicker. You can always add more as needed.
Is Veggie Tortilla Soup High in Carbs?
Without the black beans and the tortillas, this veggie soup can be considered low-carb. With the beans and tortillas, and bread, this will definitely up your carb intake for the day.
What to Serve with Veggie Tortilla Soup
Even though this tortilla soup recipe can be a meal on its own, you can easily pair it up with a few side dish options and stretch it to serve more people. Try pairing this soup with:
Vegetable Tortilla Soup Toppings
A couple of soup toppings go a long way to make a bowl feel a little extra special. Try topping your soup with:
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Caramelized onions
- Sliced avocado
If you want to meal prep a bit, go for it! You can make this simple soup a day ahead of time and have it stored in an airtight container in the fridge. When it’s time to serve, just put it back into a pan on the stovetop and warm it up.
If you want to make it further than a day in advance, cook it and then store it in a freezer-safe container. You can freeze this soup recipe for up to 3-4 months! Move it to the fridge to thaw, and then reheat it on the stove when ready to eat.Print