Get ready to take your chips for an adventure and your Mexican dishes to the next level with this simple recipe for Spicy Guacamole. Your taste buds are going to dance with every bite.
Guacamole is my go-to when I want to serve a fresh dip or to add to my tacos and fajitas. It’s also a great appetizer to serve with nachos, tortillas, or even with chicken as a delicious side dish. Yes, I could eat guacamole with almost everything and by itself!
This homemade spicy guacamole is tasty and easy to make. And the best part is that it comes together in only 5 minutes! Today’s version is spicier than the traditional one, with extra heat that will make all the difference.
Avocados and tomatoes are a perfect match, plus crunchy onions to add flavor and texture. For the spicy touch, you can use poblano peppers or jalapeños. Poblano peppers are spicier than jalapeños, so 1 poblano pepper or 2 jalapeños is good enough to make your mouth feel the heat.
While this recipe has jalapeños and pepper to create a spicy version of guacamole, you can still make it less spicy if your family prefers a softer dip. Just add fewer jalapeños or no jalapeños at all.
Avocados and tomatoes have a lot of flavor by themselves, so you will still have a tasty sauce to add to your meals.
Spicy Guacamole with Jalapeños
Jalapeños are great to add to guacamole when you want your heat level to be medium to spicy. You can leave the seeds in for extra heat and they are often a favorite because they’re easy to find at any store.
This recipe takes only 5 minutes, but check how to make Easy Guacamole in 2 minutes if you need a simpler version and don’t have all the other ingredients.
Spicy Guacamole Ingredients
Ripe avocados are the best option for spicy guacamole or any other guacamole recipe. They are soft and creamy, and you can mash them easily with a fork. If you’re going to make guacamole the same day you get the avocados at the store, make sure to pick them ripe.
This is what you need to make this spicy guacamole recipe:
- Avocados: ripe avocados are creamier and easier to mash with a fork.
- Roma tomatoes: avocado’s best friend for any guacamole recipe.
- Onion: adds flavor and a crunchy texture.
- Poblano pepper or jalapeños: all the spicy flavor your taste buds were asking for. Poblano peppers are spicier than jalapeños. Both will work for this recipe.
- Lime: add the right amount of acid that guacamole needs and helps keep avocados from browning.
- Cilantro: adds more citrusy notes.
- Salt: enhances the other flavors.
- Cumin: for extra flavor.
How to Make Spicy Guacamole
In just 5 minutes, you will have an epic Spicy Guacamole to add to your tacos and fajitas. Or grab a nacho and dig it into this spectacular sauce! Ready to cook? Let’s do it!
- Prep the avocados
Grab the avocados and cut them in half. Remove the seeds, and scrape the meat into a large bowl. Smash the avocado with a fork. You can leave some chunks to get the classic guacamole texture.
- Make the guacamole
When the avocado is ready, add the other ingredients: tomatoes seeded and diced, onion chopped, poblano pepper or jalapeños, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and cumin. Gently fold to combine.
Serve immediately and enjoy this spicy guacamole with your favorite Mexican dishes or any of the tacos from my Taco Tuesday Cookbook!
The Taco Tuesday Cookbook
These recipes will make every taco night the most exciting meal of your week! Eat great tacos, at home.
Grab your copy today!
What to Serve with Spicy Guacamole
This Spicy Guacamole is a healthy dip to eat with nachos and, of course, the star of every Taco Tuesday! Easy, tasty, and spicy: it sounds like perfection to me! You can still make this guacamole even better if you add it to some of these delicious recipes:
Or, add some guacamole toppings such as black beans, diced peaches, extra onions, chopped bacon, and more!
Spicy Guacamole Recipe
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper or 2 jalapeños, diced with seeds*
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 ½ limes, juiced (¼ cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Cut avocados in half, remove the seeds, and scrape the meat into a large bowl. Smash the avocado with a fork, and leave a few chunks if desired.
- To the avocado in the bowl, add the tomatoes, onion, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and cumin. Gently fold to combine ingredients and serve immediately.