Your summer just got better my friend because these Apple Pie S’mores are going to blow your mind. Well, your taste buds, anyway.
I love having apples pre-sliced and ready in the fridge to make things like apple “donuts” or serve them with our favorite coconut dip. The only downside of pre-slicing our organic apples is that they would turn brown until I discovered Natureseal for Fresh Cut Produce. Their simple blend of vitamins and minerals help prevent my fruit, like apples and pears, and veggies like celery and carrots from browning after I slice them and I’ve been using it during my weekly meal prep.
As you can see from the video below, I created these s’mores to answer your request for more fun recipes with apple slices. Check out how easy they are to make!
The truth is that dad doesn’t always feel like getting a fire pit ready outside every time the kids want s’mores, so that’s always a great option.
Anyways, back to these gooey s’mores. You are going to love them because they are the perfect allergy-friendly treat for your family or when you have guests. They are gluten-free (check the marshmallow ingredients just to make sure), and what kid doesn’t like the caramel and chocolate combination?
I know, I know, apple pie doesn’t have chocolate. However, I don’t think I could call the recipe “s’more” without it either. And here lies my predicament as a recipe developer when you scour the internet to name something, and nobody has come up with the idea (that you can find) before. Sigh.
What’s great about these apple pie s’mores is that the apples, once treated with the Natureseal solution, are protected from browning for hours at room temperature and it’s the perfect kid-activity for the summer.
After seeing the success of this apple pie s’more idea with my kids and their friends, I’ve also made them for parties. When entertaining, I often place the s’more ingredients buffet style so the kids can prep their apples with the crunchy caramel, roast their marshmallow, and then create their apple pie masterpiece.
What are some of the ways you like to use up apple slices?
Use the promo code B1G1LF50 for a BOGO 50% off on Nature Seal Products through 8/31/17.
Apple Pie S’mores
- Yield: 12-18 1x
- 6 apples, washed
- 1 NatureSeal for Fresh Cut Produce envelope
- 8 ounces cold water
- 1/2 cup Heath bar chunks
- 10oz bag large marshmallows
- Cut apple slices into 1/3 inch thick slices and remove the core.
- Prepare NatureSeal browning inhibiting solution according to package directions by mixing 1 packet with 8 ounces of cold water. Transfer liquid into a flat 9×9 baking dish. Begin to dip one side of the apples, flip over, and let apples sit for 1 to 5 minutes. Remove apples from dish, drain and transfer into a zip bag or sealed storage container, and repeat the process with remaining apples. Refrigerate treated apple slices for making s’mores later.
- Place a few apple slices on a board and sprinkle a generous amount of caramel chunks on top of the apple slice, set aside.
- Place a marshmallow (or two) on a stick and hold it over a campfire or flame until roasted, making sure rotate the stick so all sides are melty and golden brown.
- Take the roasted marshmallow (still on the stick) and lay it on top of the caramel chunks, and using another apple slice, cover the marshmallow, pressing down firmly to pull it out of the stick and make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining slices and marshmallows.
Notes: store leftover apple rings in a sealed bag in the refrigerator.
This post was part of my partnership with Natureseal. Thank you for supporting the companies that help me do what I love most: create great recipes for you! All opinions in the post are my own.