It’s no secret that birthdays are a big deal, so why not start the day off with Birthday Cake Waffles? With just 10 minutes of cooking time, the birthday boy or girl will be enjoying their birthday treat in no time at all.
You can even alter this simple waffle recipe to be gluten-free, too. Funfetti homemade waffles have never been easier (or more delicious) to make!
Funfetti Birthday Cake Waffles
This recipe for birthday waffles has Greek yogurt to give them a cake-like texture and boost the protein content. Whether you add the sprinkles into to the batter or just on top, the funfetti effect will be full-on.
As a parent, I love that they’re made with simple ingredients I have on hand or are part of my regular shopping routine so I can make a birthday morning unique and fun.
Do Birthday Cake Waffles Taste Like Cake?
These birthday cake waffles have a moist cake-like texture but they really get their name because of the added sprinkles.
They are fluffier and softer than regular waffles and definitely worth making.
Birthday Cake Waffle Ingredients
Although these birthday cake waffles need a few more ingredients than using a boxed mix, I’m pretty sure you have most of them on hand:
- eggs: needed to bind together all of the ingredients.
- milk: any type of milk will be fine.
- vanilla Greek yogurt: you can use other flavors but just know it will change the taste of the waffles.
- vanilla extract: what’s cake without it?
- butter: you can use salted or unsalted butter for this waffle recipe.
- sprinkles: choose from sprinkles and save more for decorating as well.
- all-purpose flour: you can also use 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour to make these waffles gluten-free.
- sugar: adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
- baking powder: this gives a nice fluffiness to the texture of the waffles.
- salt: if you use salted butter, omit the extra salt addition.
How to Make Funfetti Birthday Waffles
Making homemade waffles is totally easy to do! Once you realize how to make waffles from scratch, you’re never going to buy them from the store premade again!
Follow the recipe below and you’ll get fluffy and delicious waffles every single time.
- Add the ingredients to a mixing bowl
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, yogurt, vanilla, and butter until smooth.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth and there are no clumps- do not over-mix. Fold in the sprinkles.
- Preheat the waffle maker
Lightly grease a preheated waffle maker with cooking spray. Pour enough batter to fill the bottom plates.
- Cook the waffles
Close and cook the waffle according to the manufacturer’s directions or until the waffles are golden brown.
Remove the waffle from the waffle iron and repeat with the remaining batter.
Although I didn’t add sprinkles to the one in the video, watch it to see how to make this birthday cake waffle recipe from start to finish!
How to Top Your Birthday Cake Waffles
When it comes to adding waffle toppings, there are so many fun and delicious ideas! Some topping suggestions are:
- Fresh fruit (strawberries, berries, etc.)
- Whipped cream
- Frosting and MORE sprinkles
- Maple syrup/honey
- Homemade Pancake Syrup
- Strawberry Syrup