Close your eyes and imagine sipping the delicious taste of the holidays. That creamy, rich, sweet taste you love from ice cream, just got better with this peppermint milkshake recipe.
I’m excited to have partnered with Edy’s Ice Cream to kick off the holiday season with this recipe. My daughter, Sofia, loves all things peppermint so naturally, she was thrilled to work with me to bring this idea to the blog.
I’ll never forget my first milkshake. It was winter of 1990 when I visited my mom in California from Spain. The town of Los Gatos had a small, old-time diner that made the most amazing milkshakes. That Christmas, I experienced my first “candy cane” milkshake and have dreamed of it ever since.
I’m pretty sure it was the white chocolate candy cane rimmed glass that made it an unforgettable experience; and today’s milkshake is the closest thing to recreating those memories and sharing them with you.
If you can imagine my excitement (and my daughters!) when we went to the freezer section of my local grocery store and in the middle of the Edy’s ice cream, the Slow Churned Light Peppermint Wonderland’s bright colored carton stood out among the rest. It immediately made me think of that first milkshake, back in 1990 -and the rest, as they say, is history.
And that brings me to today, sharing this how-to video of the creamiest, most delicious winter milkshake ever!
I chose Edy’s Slow Churned Peppermint Wonderland light ice cream because it’s light ice cream and peppermint candy pieces blend together to create a memorable frosty flavor in every sip!
My biggest concern was how to recreate the rimmed glass I remembered so vividly. Luckily, all it took was melting some white chocolate chips and rolling it in finely chopped candy canes as you saw in the video.
What’s great is that you can decorate lots of Mason jars and switch up the shake flavors with other Edy’s Slow Churned Light Ice Cream varieties like vanilla (a classic!) or chocolate (chocolate + peppermint pieces = YUM)! With this fun idea, you are guaranteed to make your own memories this holiday season. Just remember, Edy’s Slow Churned Peppermint Wonderland light ice cream is a limited edition flavor only available around the holiday season.
Whether you get your kids to help you blend up the milkshake or make the whipped cream, having fun in the kitchen is one of the best ways to create family traditions and memories.
I hope this recipe brings you and your family lots of holiday cheer this year.
WIN ICE CREAM FOR A YEAR!
Leave a comment below this post letting me know your favorite way to dress up your ice cream and you could win a gift pack of Edy’s ice cream for a whole year!
Giveaway Ends 12/9/15 at noon.
Candy Cane Milkshake – Peppermint Milkshake Recipe
- Yield: 2 12 ounce milkshakes 1x
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 3 candy canes, finely crushed
- 3 cups Dreyer’s/EDY’s Slow Churned Peppermint Wonderland Light Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- Whipped cream for topping
- In a microwave-safe bowl that is large enough to fit the rim of your serving glass, carefully melt chocolate chips, stirring every 15 seconds, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- On a separate bowl, place crushed candy canes.
- Slowly dip serving glass into melted chocolate and allow excess chocolate to drip off. After a couple of seconds, dip white chocolate covered glass rim into crushed candy cane bowl. Allow glass rims to harden by placing them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a blender, combine peppermint ice cream and milk. Blend for 15-20 seconds until you achieve a thick, milkshake consistency.
- Pour milkshake into candy cane rimmed glass, top with whipped cream, and sprinkle crushed candy canes. Serve immediately.
For more holiday inspiration on how to incorporate the rich taste of Dreyer’s/EDY’s Slow Churned light ice cream, visit Dreyers.com or Edys.com. Don’t forget, if you are located west of the Rockies to look for the Dreyer’s carton in the freezer aisle.
From time to time, I work with awesome companies to develop recipes for this website. Today’s post was brought to you by Dreyer’s/EDY’s Slow Churned holiday campaign to help spread the word about their Slow Churned Peppermint Wonderland light ice cream. As a team member, I received product and incentives in exchange for participating in brand related activities and spreading the word about Dreyer’s/EDY’s Slow Churned light ice cream products. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that encourage my creativity.