These are like black and white cookies, but better. They are like ice cream sandwiches, but more grandiose. It’s spreading your favorite chocolate hazelnut spread over a cookie and loving it. And then, making the whole thing a-la-mode with a scoop of deliciously creamy caramel ice cream.
Wait, did I mention that the entire thing is an ice cream sandwich? Oh yes! your summer just got better with these Caramel Almond Crunch Ice Cream Sandwiches!
When temperatures are hot, my kids seem to ask for treats more often, and they always remember the ice cream we week in the garage fridge “for emergencies.” Except, “98 degrees and 100% humidity is always an emergency” as my daughter likes to say.
It’s my family’s love for ice cream that pushes my creativity along to create out-of-the-box recipe ideas like this one. And today I’m excited to have partnered with Dreyer’s Slow Churned California Caramel Almond Crunch Light Ice Cream to share it with you.
So one afternoon, in a “heat emergency” my kids and I landed, in the kitchen wearing our bathing suits, after two rounds of swimming in the neighborhood pool, making these delicious Caramel Almond Crunch Ice Cream Sandwiches.
We simply stared at the pantry and looked for things that were there, and then I followed my daughter out to the upstairs office and she looked at the remnant ingredients from a previous video day (she insists that the video day ingredients are more fun than what we have in our pantry) and brought them downstairs.
Together, we came up with this fun ice cream sandwich, which she says tastes almost like the popular chocolate covered caramel cookie bar. “Except the creamy, rich, delicious caramel ice cream takes this to a whole new level,” she said. And we agreed.
Making them was also fun and a team effort. Check out how easy these ice cream sandwiches are to make in this short video.
Eating one of these ice cream sandwiches is an awesome way to cool off from outside while satisfying your sweet tooth at once. Summer is, after all, the best time of the year to enjoy a delicious treat.
The recipe below is more like a method of making these cookies. My most important tip is to work fast and get a helper to help scoop the ice cream. You can eat them right after you make a batch or keep in the freezer for up to a week inside a freezer bag.
And don’t worry, if you can’t find Dreyer’s ice cream, it’s also known as Edy’s east of the Rockies!
Do you make your own sandwich cookies? What flavor ice cream you like to put in them?
Caramel Almond Crunch Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Yield: about 14 ice cream sandwiches 1x
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
- Round shortbread cookies
- Dreyer’s Slow Churned California Caramel Almond Crunch Ice cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Begin ice cream sandwich assembly line by spreading a thin layer of chocolate hazelnut spread onto both sides of the short bread cookies.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, melon-baller, or teaspoon, scoop one small scoop of Dreyer’s Slow Churned California Caramel Almond Crunch Ice cream
- onto one chocolate spread shortbread cookie. Top with another cookie, and close sandwich.
- Assemble a few at a time and transfer immediately to the freezer, for 30 minutes, until firm.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl, stopping to stir a couple of times. When the mixture is ready, take ice cream sandwiches out of the freezer and immediately dip half of the cookies into the chocolate coating and place them back onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Once chocolate coating hardens, enjoy immediately or freeze for 5 minutes and enjoy.
Quantity will vary by short bread cookies used.