Try this hummus sandwich for a quick and delicious lunch to enjoy at home or pack for the office!
Hearty bread layered with creamy hummus, pesto, and fresh tomato checks all the boxes for a fresh meal that tastes amazing! It’s also a great way to switch up the usual sandwich combo while loading up on veggies.
If you’re looking to add to your list of healthy lunch ideas, give this hummus sandwich a try.
Is Hummus Good on a Sandwich?
Hummus is a great spread for sandwiches and a healthier alternative to mayonnaise. It adds a creamy, garlicky flavor and doubles as a ‘sauce’ or “wet ingredient,” so your sandwiches are never dry, just delicious.
Tablespoon for tablespoon, hummus provides roughly 30 calories, 1 gram of protein, and 3 grams of fat, compared to mayo which has 100 calories, no protein, and 10 grams of fat.
Nutritionally, it’s a great swap!
What to Put on a Veggie Hummus Sandwich
After you decide what bread to use (I like a hearty, multi-grain), here’s what to put on your veggie hummus sandwich:
- hummus: use your favorite flavor or make your own, like this easy Blender Hummus recipe.
- fresh tomato: find the reddest tomato at your local grocery and slice it thin.
- provolone cheese: the mild flavor of Provolone goes great with the pesto and hummus. Swap it out for cheddar, white cheddar, muenster, gouda… you get the picture.
- pesto: adds great depth of flavor. You can make your own pesto sauce or use your favorite jarred option.
While grilling is optional, it would certainly add a very nice touch, and if you’re a sandwich enthusiast like myself, check out more EPIC grilled sandwiches to take your usual lunch routine up a notch.
Watch this quick video to see how it’s made!
More Hummus Sandwich Filling Options
Filling your hummus sandwich with all sorts of yummy things is where it gets fun! Try adding one or two of the sandwich filling ideas below, or go crazy and make your own combination.
- fresh lettuce
- red onion
- shredded carrots
- thinly sliced and roasted beets– this one is a must!
- roasted bell peppers
- fresh dill pickles
- sliced olives
- shredded carrots
- a fried egg
- your favorite deli meat
- crispy bacon
All of this reminds me of my salad sandwich recipe. Definitely give that one a try if you love this veggie hummus sandwich.
Want more epic lunches that are perfect for the office? Then you need a copy of my 101 Packed Lunches ebook. It’s filled with lunch ideas that are healthy, satiating, and of course, delicious!
How to Pack a Hummus Sandwich for Work
There is a way to pack a hummus sandwich for later without the bread getting soggy. The trick is to make sure “wet ingredients” like tomatoes aren’t layered directly onto the bread.
In this case, I recommend adding lettuce to the bottom and using the cheese as the last ingredient on top. Both act as “barriers” and prevent excess moisture from seeping into the bread.
Hummus Veggie Club Sandwich
- Place all three slices of bread onto a flat surface and spread 1 tablespoon over 1 slice. Top with half the sliced tomato and 1 slice of cheese.
- On the second slice, spread half the pesto and flip the pesto side onto the open sandwich. Spread the remaining pesto on top the sandwich and top with the remaining tomato slices and cheese.
- Spread the remaining hummus onto the last slice. Assemble the sandwich and enjoy.