Simple to make and flavorful, these sausage and pepper hoagie sandwiches are the perfect comfort meal that’s easy to make.
It all starts with your favorite sausage, and in 15 minutes, you’ll have them ready with minimal effort!
Sausage and Pepper Hoagies
From time to time, it’s nice to pull together a meal with just a few ingredients and minimal effort.
Sandwiched inside a soft hoagie roll, each bite is filled with seasoned onions and peppers, juicy sausage, and melty cheese.
You also have the option of toasting the bread, giving you a crispier and flaky texture that’s always a winner.
Sausage Pepper Sandwich Ingredients
Few recipes are better than this one made with simple and affordable ingredients that turn into a people-pleasing meal.
Here’s the short ingredient list for these sausage & pepper subs:
- Italian sausage: for this recipe, I chose chicken, but you could do pork.
- Onion: use red, white, yellow- whichever you have available.
- Bell peppers: the color is up to you, I go between red and green.
- Provolone cheese: is the classic choice, but Pepper Jack, Mozzarella, and White Cheddar also work.
- Hoagie rolls: are hefty enough to hold the sausage and pepper mixture.
- Mayonnaise: moistens the bread.
Check the printable recipe card below to get the full ingredient measurements and more detailed directions.
How to Make Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches
In just 15 minutes, you’ll have a delicious meal on the table with little cleanup.
Here is what you’ll be doing:
Slice the bell pepper and onion. Use a pairing knife to remove the sausage casings.
Add the sausage to a large pan over medium-high heat and cook for 7 minutes while breaking it up with a spatula.
- Toss in the veggies
Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook until softened. Remove from heat.
Spread the mayo onto the opened hoagies. Place the cheese onto one side and top with the sausage and veggies. Close and serve!
Now you can see why this is a fantastic weeknight recipe! It’s so quick and easy to assemble.
Need more quick dinner ideas? I’ve got a whole list of recipes you can make in 15-30 minutes!
Can You Use Other Types of Sausage
The sausage is the star of this meal, so feel free to use your favorite type. You can use spicy Italian sausage, mild, sweet, smoked… any variation will work. Of course, you can use sausage made of chicken, pork, or beef.
Prep-Ahead Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches
The filling for these sausage and pepper hoagie sandwiches can be cooked up to 3 days ahead of time, cooled down, and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When it’s time to eat, simply heat it up and fill your fresh or toasted hoagies.
What to Serve with Sausage Sandwiches
Sausage and Pepper Sandwich
- 12 to 16 ounces of Italian sausage, your favorite
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thin
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- 4 whole grain hoagie rolls
- Remove sausage from the casing by slicing the sausage casing with a paring knife down the middle. Peel back the casing, and add sausage to a large pan heated up over medium-high heat. Cook sausage, breaking it up with a spatula into smaller pieces as it cooks, for about 7 minutes.
- Once the sausage is done cooking, add bell pepper and onions to the skillet. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until the onions and peppers have softened, and turn off the heat.
- Assemble the sandwich by spreading mayonnaise (if using) on the bread. Place provolone cheese on one side and top with the warm veggie and sausage mixture. Close the sandwich & serve immediately.