This pumpkin pasta recipe is one that you’ll want to make throughout the fall, and if I dare say, also year round! Don’t worry, it’s not sweet and doesn’t taste like dessert. Instead, it’s a hearty, filling skillet meal packed with fall flavors.
When you think about eating pumpkin, what comes to mind? Most of you will think of cookies, pie, scones, and maybe Starbucks’ lattes. After you try this pasta, I guarantee you’ll think skillet pumpkin pasta too! With this recipe, canned pumpkin isn’t just for baking anymore.
I make a lot of skillet meals for my family. Mostly, because while the pasta boils, I can whip the rest of the ingredients inside the skillet. Once the pasta is ready, all I have to do is combine, heat, and serve! I love that the entire meal is in a single plate or bowl, and when it has veggies, they are incorporated into the meal instead of being moved pushed around and played with.
I told my kids that pumpkin is a vegetable, and what do you know, they want me to make this recipe all the time! You would be surprised at how easy and delicious it is. My kids loved it, as well as my husband, who were all surprised we were eating pumpkin in something other than dessert! My 3-year-old, who rarely misses a beat, wanted to know if he could add chocolate chips to his plate.
This will be a festive addition to a typical dinner. Whether you use canned pumpkin or make your own, this pasta recipe will be a repeat every Fall when pumpkins are plentiful and canned pumpkin is often found on sale. You can also use regular of gluten-free pasta and dairy-free milk instead of milk and canned coconut milk for the half & half.
What is your favorite thing to cook with pumpkin?
Canned pumpkin is not just for pumpkin pie anymore. This creamy pumpkin pasta comes together quickly in the skillet and is a budget friendly meal.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Cook pasta according to box directions, reserve 1 cup pasta water, drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin puree and reserved pasta water. Combine while heating up until a smooth paste forms. Add in half and half, milk, nutmeg, and salt, and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Once heated through, add in Parmesan cheese and combine until cheese is dissolved. Toss in cooked penne pasta and toss to combine. Top with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.
You can also use regular of gluten-free pasta and dairy-free milk instead of milk and canned coconut milk for the half & half at equal amounts.