May 13, 2022
If you are looking for an epic chicken recipe that’s guaranteed to be juicy and flavorful, you have found it in this baked hummus chicken!
In this recipe, the chicken breasts are topped with a generous amount of roasted red pepper hummus and baked; turning the hummus turns into a rich, golden-brown crust that keeps all the juices in!
This hummus chicken is one of those incredible, healthy chicken recipes that’s easy to assemble and the oven does all the cooking!
What is Hummus Chicken
Spreading hummus over chicken is a great way to add outstanding flavor and prevent it from drying out. The hummus transforms into a delicious golden crust and locks all the juices as the chicken bakes.
Plus, the creaminess of the hummus adds a comfort food feel to the entire dish without adding excess calories or fat. I call that a win!
And underneath all the hummus, paprika, fresh lemon, and chicken, the zucchini and summer squash soak up ALL of the flavors- this truly is an easy one-pan meal you can assemble for a weeknight dinner or to entertain guests.
If you find yourself cooking chicken a few nights a week and want to try more recipes like this that guarantee tasty results, check out my Chicken. It’s What’s for Dinner eBook.
It has over 70 recipes, everything from pasta to power bowls, slow cooker meals, and sheet pan dinners with chicken as the main ingredient. You won’t be getting bored anytime soon.
Chicken Hummus Ingredients
Here’s everything you need to make baked hummus chicken:
- squash: sliced and layered onto the bottom of the dish, the squash absorbs all the delicious flavors of hummus and chicken. For this recipe, we use zucchini and yellow squash.
- onion: added to the layer of squash. If you’re kids aren’t fans of cooked onion, you can omit.
- olive oil: to coat the veggies.
- chicken breasts: use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for a lean and high protein option.
- salt & pepper: the essentials.
- hummus: you can use classic hummus, roasted red pepper, roasted garlic, or another favorite flavor.
- lemons: adds bright, citrusy flavor the chicken and veggies.
- smoked paprika: gives each bite of chicken a smoky, bold flavor.
You can also make your own hummus, but to save time store-bought hummus is the way to go.
I love the way using Roasted Red Pepper Hummus turned out for this recipe. I’ve also used other varieties of hummus and they all add so much flavor to the dish.
How to Make Hummus Chicken
This is one of my go-to recipes because it’s so quick, the whole dish comes together in under 30 minutes. Here’s what you do.
Preheat the oven to 450F and lightly grease a baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Season the veggies
In a large bowl, toss the zucchini, squash, and onion with salt, black pepper, and olive oil. Transfer the veggies to the baking dish and spread them in an even layer.
- Slice a lemon
Place the lemon slices over the veggies.
- Prep the chicken
Pat dry the chicken breasts with paper towels and season with sides with salt and black pepper. Place the chicken breasts over the lemon and veggies.
- Spread some hummus
Generously spread the hummus over the top of the chicken breasts so they are completely covered.
Grab another lemon, slice it in half, and squeeze the fresh juice over the chicken and vegetables.
Pop everything in the oven and bake for 25-30 mins or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F and the tops are golden brown.
Cook this juicy chicken recipe along with me using this quick recipe video.
See? This recipe couldn’t be any easier. Grab all the measurements and print this recipe below.
What to Serve with Hummus Chicken
Easy Hummus Chicken
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced ½-inch thick rounds
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 lemons, one sliced and the other halved
- 4 chicken breasts , boneless skinless
- 1 cup Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, use this if using traditional hummus or want extra smoky flavor
- Preheat the oven to 450F and lightly grease a 9 x 9-inch or 9 x 13-inch baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, season the zucchini, squash, and onion with salt and black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine.
- Transfer the veggies to the baking dish and spread them in an even layer.
- Top the veggies with lemon slices.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season both sides with salt and black pepper. Place the chicken over the vegetables.
- Using a spoon, spread the hummus over each chicken breast so that the entire fillet is covered.
- Squeeze the lemon halves over the chicken and vegetables. Dust the tops of the chicken with the smoked paprika.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F and the tops are golden brown.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and allow it to rest 5 minutes before serving.