It only takes 5 minutes to assemble all the ingredients, and the result is a sandwich that you will want to prepare every week. Nutritious, delicious, and easy to make. What more can we ask of this sandwich?
Healthy Chicken Avocado Sandwich
The chicken, avocado, and hummus mix make this sandwich an easy and super tasty way of eating vegetables and proteins.
If you want to add more veggies to your meals, sandwiches are a great idea. Yes, veggies in something other than a salad! I love to prepare all kinds of sandwiches with vegetables, like my Easy Salad Sandwich or my Caprese Sandwich.
Avocado is full of healthy fats, and its creamy texture is perfect for spreading over the bread.
The hummus is a healthier swap from mayo and adds an epic garlicky flavor. A tablespoon of hummus provides roughly 30 calories, 1 gram of protein, and 3 grams of fat, compared to mayo, which has 100 calories, no protein, and 10 grams of fat.
Yes, it’s the perfect sandwich, I know!
What Goes on an Avocado Chicken Sandwich?
This sandwich comes together in 5 minutes with ingredients that I am sure you can find in your kitchen. Of course, you need avocado and chicken, plus a few things that will make this sandwich absolutely amazing!
You’ll find the ingredient measurements on the recipe card below, but before you run to the kitchen to prepare this heavenly sandwich, this is what you need:
- Hummus: while mayo is a traditional option for sandwiches, hummus is a healthier swap and adds a garlicky flavor that makes a huge difference.
- Bread: a thick rustic bread, like a sourdough boule or loaf, is perfect for assembling this sandwich.
- Avocado: creamy, nutritious, and pairs amazingly with chicken!
- Chicken: roasted chicken or deli chicken. Do you have chicken leftovers? Of course you can use it!
- Cheese: I add Havarti cheese this time, but you can use your favorite.
- Butter: for grilling.
Using Leftover Chicken
Do you have leftover rotisserie or roasted chicken in your fridge? Then you can use it to make this sandwich even more flavorful. Thighs or breasts, both work perfectly. While thighs are tastier, breasts are a little bit drier. But since we are adding hummus, avocado, and cheese, you can use any part of the chicken, and the sandwich will still have a great texture.
How to Make an Avocado Chicken Sandwich
In only 5 minutes, you will have this Avocado Chicken Sandwich ready to eat or pack for the office. Let’s see how this sandwich comes together:
- First layer
Spread the hummus over both slices of bread and place them onto a flat surface.
- Spread the avocado
Mash the avocado with a fork and spread over each slice.
Top one slice with cheese and roasted chicken. Assemble the sandwiches and butter on both sides.
Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Grill the sandwich for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese begins to melt. Flip and grill for an additional minute until the cheese melts.
Remove from heat and cut in half before serving.
How to Pack an Avocado Chicken Sandwich for Lunch
This Avocado Chicken Sandwich is a great dinner and a delicious and nutritious lunch you can pack to the office!
Here are a few tips for packing this sandwich without the bread getting soggy and the ingredients falling apart:
Keep “wet ingredients” in the middle
Prepare the sandwich following the recipe. Be sure to add cheese on one slice of bread and chicken on the other. The avocado should be in the middle. This way, we prevent the bread from getting soggy.
Use a thick bread
While you can use any bread to assemble a sandwich, sourdough boule or loaf are sturdy enough to keep all the ingredients of the Avocado Chicken Sandwich in the right place.
Use the right container
If the container is too big, the ingredients could spill out. Use a lunch container big enough to pack the sandwich, but nothing larger.
Easy Avocado Chicken Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- 2 slices thick rustic bread, like a sourdough boule or loaf
- ½ avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 slice Havarti cheese
- 3 ounces roasted chicken or deli chicken, sliced
- Butter, for grilling
- Spread the hummus over both slices of bread and place them onto a flat surface.
- Mash the avocado with a fork and spread over each slice.
- Top one slice with cheese and roasted chicken. Assemble the sandwiches and butter on both sides.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Grill the sandwich for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese begins to melt. Flip and grill for an additional minute until the cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and cut in half before serving.