July 5, 2022
This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad recipe is going to be your new side salad obsession. It’s light and delicious and made using just four simple ingredients!
If you’re a fan of salads looking for a new spin on the classic lettuce-based ones, you’ll soon see why using Brussels sprouts will solve all your salad woes -plus, there’s crispy bacon!
Bacon Brussels Sprouts Salad
Adding bacon to any salad is always a terrific idea. Using Brussels sprouts to build a salad? Brilliant. Together, they create a wonderful, combination that was meant to be!
I’m already a huge fan of cooking Brussel sprouts and bacon together and I have a Caramelized Brussels Sprouts recipe, but those are warm. Serving them cold? Soooo simple and a lot less work!
The end result of this recipe actually has me craving salads more now than ever before! I love knowing that I’m fueling my body with extra veggies – and even the kids give this simple salad recipe two thumbs up!
How to Shave Brussels Sprouts for Salad
There are several ways to shave Brussels sprouts for salad some being manual by using a hand grater or a mandolin, while others are a bit faster by using a food processor.
The quickest method is by using a food processor with the blade attachment at the top. If you don’t have the blade attachment, use the cheese grating attachment. Otherwise, you can use the chopping option by giving Brussels a few pulses in the jar.
Another popular way is to use a mandolin and shave them close. Just be sure that you’re careful as the blade is super sharp!
Lastly, you can hand chop all the sprouts as thinly as possible. This is very time-consuming but it does work!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad Ingredients
Earlier I mentioned that this recipe was super simple – and I wasn’t kidding around. Minimal ingredients that pack maximum flavor!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this simple salad with Brussels sprouts and bacon:
- bacon: you can use already cooked bacon or cook it yourself. Just be sure to drain off any excess grease.
- citrus vinaigrette: this is my favorite dressing to add but any light dressing will work.
- fresh brussels sprouts: fresh is key here – don’t try and use frozen or already cooked.
- shallot: perfect for adding another level of flavor.
How to Make Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
The ease of this salad recipe means that it just takes minutes to make. The hardest part of this entire recipe is telling your tastebuds to calm down and be patient.
Here is how you can easily make this simple summer salad recipe perfectly every time:
- Cook the bacon
Cook bacon to a crispy consistency. Once cooked, coarsely chop bacon on a chopping block.
- Make the dressing
- Shave the Brussels sprouts
Shave Brussels sprouts by removing the ends and processing them through a food processor with the slicing blade attachment on. Manually, keep the ends on and shave them through a mandolin, using the ends to grip the Brussels sprout. With a knife, slice the Brussel sprout in half and thinly chop it on a cutting board.
- Add to a bowl
Place shaved Brussels sprouts in a large bowl with the sliced shallot. Top with crispy bacon.
- Add dressing
Drizzle citrus vinaigrette over the top and toss to combine.
Dressings for Bacon Brussels Sprouts Salad
The texture and flavor of this salad call for a lighter dressing. This is why using a vinaigrette is the best choice.
I have an amazing Quick Citrus Vinaigrette Recipe that I love using and it pairs perfectly!
Customize Your Brussels Sprouts Salad
Even though this salad is amazing as is, you can always add other ingredients to make it your own.
Some other salad toppings and mix-in suggestions are:
- fresh cilantro
- chopped celery
- chopped carrots
- sunflower seeds
- crushed pecans
- shredded cheese
- diced avocado
What to Serve With It
Since this is a light salad, there is always room to pair it with something else! Here are some great main entrees that would be delicious with this salad:
- Baked Lemon Herb Chicken Breast
- Seared Chicken Thighs
- Healthy Turkey Burgers Recipe
- Top this salad with Crispy Pork Carnitas
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon
- 4 strips of bacon
- ½ cup citrus vinaigrette
- 1 lb fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- Cook bacon to a crispy consistency. Once cooked, coarsely chop bacon on a chopping block.
- Prepare vinaigrette.
- Shave Brussels sprouts by removing the ends and processing them through a food processor with the slicing blade attachment on. Manually, keep the ends on and shave them through a mandolin, using the ends to grip the Brussels sprout. With a knife, slice the Brussel sprout in half and thinly chop it on a cutting board.
- Place shaved Brussels sprouts in a large bowl with the sliced shallot. Top with crispy bacon.
- Drizzle citrus vinaigrette over the top and toss to combine.