When you are craving the flavors of chicken tacos but want something a little lighter, I can’t think of a better solution than this chicken taco soup.
Topped with sour cream and cheese, the tender chicken, smoky taco seasonings, tomatoes, and beans make for a delicious meal that won’t leave you overly full.
Easy Chicken Taco Soup
This chicken taco soup is a satisfying and delicious meal you can whip up with simple ingredients when you’re short on time. Since we’re using a shredded rotisserie or leftover baked chicken, it adds flavor and reduces the amount of time spent in the kitchen. From start to finish, this soup is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes.
If you don’t have a rotisserie chicken but a pound of chicken that needs to be cooked, you can make this same chicken taco soup in the Instant Pot.
Is your chicken still frozen? No worries, just defrost the chicken using one of these three methods, and you’re good to go.
Chicken Taco Soup Ingredients
Taco soup’s popularity can be attributed to the fact that many of it’s ingredients are commonly found in our pantries at any given time.
Things like canned beans, tomatoes, and broth are staples for all sorts of meals, just add a packet of taco seasoning, chicken, and simmer away. Here’s everything you’ll need to make this recipe:
- olive oil – to sauté the veggies
- canned beans – this recipe uses black and red kidney beans, but you can use any of your favorite varieties.
- corn – canned or frozen will do the trick.
- taco seasoning – don’t have homemade taco seasoning? Use the packet from the grocery store.
- petite diced tomatoes – can be swapped for regular diced tomatoes, I like the consistency of petite cut tomatoes.
- salsa – a great way to use up the last bit of jarred salsa
- 2-3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken – or use leftover turkey
- low-sodium chicken broth – whether you make your own chicken broth or use the carton, you’re well on your way to a delicious meal.
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
Since we’re making this on the stove-top you’ll need a can opener and a large soup pot or Dutch oven.
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven and add the beans, corn, and taco seasoning. Brown until the veggies are softened.
Add the salsa, tomatoes, chicken, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil before reducing the heat and simmering for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve in bowls topped with sour cream and avocado.
Save yourself some time and shred the chicken beforehand. I usually take care of this at the beginning of the week; that way, it’s ready to be added to whatever recipe I have in my meal plan for the week.
There are a couple of ways to easily shred chicken without using your hands which I show you how to do here and in the video below:
Chicken Taco Soup Toppings
Just like tacos, this soup is even better loaded up with all your favorite toppings. Below are a few popular taco soup topping ideas, I usually like to set these out in individual bowls so everyone can build their own bowl:
- Sour cream
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Crushed chips
- Chopped cilantro
Freezing & Reheating Chicken Taco Soup
This chicken taco soup freezes great! The beans, veggies, and chicken hold up well in the freezer and reheat without taking on any weird texture. Here’s how to properly freeze and reheat taco soup:
- Prepare the soup and wait until it has fully cooled down to room temperature.
- Ladle out single servings of the soup into quart zip bags for single-servings or in a gallon size zip bag for more servings.
- Place the taco soup bags onto a baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours or until frozen solid.
- Remove the baking sheet and store the taco soup for up to 3 months in your freezer.
- To reheat, remove the desired amount of soup from the freezer, defrost in the freezer overnight and reheat on the stovetop.
More Chicken Soup Recipes
Can’t get enough of chicken soup these days? I get it. They make an easy way to please a crowd and can be made in a slow cooker, instant pot, or on the stove. Below are more of my favorite chicken soup recipes I’m certain your family will love:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- Old Fashioned Chicken & Rice Soup
- Chicken Parmesan Soup
- Red Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Quick Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15- ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15- ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15- ounce can corn, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 15- ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the beans, corn, and taco seasoning. Brown until the veggies are softened.
- Add the salsa, tomatoes, chicken, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil before reducing the heat and simmering for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve in bowls topped with sour cream and avocado.