September 9, 2022
Look no further than this epic recipe for chicken that’s been marinated with Greek yogurt to start your meal.
The lemon and garlic-infused flavor yields juicy chicken breasts that pair great with everything!
What Does Greek Yogurt Do To Chicken?
This recipe calls for marinating your chicken breasts -or thighs- in Greek yogurt, which contains lactic acid, as a way to tenderize the meat.
While the marinade is discarded when the chicken is taken out to cook, rest assured that the end result is a more tender, juicier piece of chicken that will make your mouth water with every bite.
Making this recipe is easy, and whether you use a zip bag to marinate your chicken or an airtight container, make sure you have the following ingredients on hand:
- Chicken breasts: use boneless, skinless for this recipe.
- Greek yogurt: check the carton for plain, you don’t want vanilla for this recipe.
- Garlic: makes everything taste better.
- Lemon: brightens up the flavor.
- Seasonings: paprika, onion powder, and oregano OR Italian seasoning.
- Salt & black pepper: enhances the other ingredient flavors.
- Oil: enough to coat the skillet.
Want the ingredient measurements? You’ll find those along with detailed directions in the printable recipe card below.
How to Make this Juicy Yogurt Chicken
While marinating the chicken in yogurt is the first step to an epic meal, how you cook it is also just as important.
Here is how the recipe comes together:
Pat the chicken breast dry and use a meat hammer to pound to even thickness or butterfly.
Combine the yogurt, lemon, and seasonings in a large bowl. Add the chicken breasts and marinate for up to 24 hours.
Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, and add some oil.
Use a fork to remove the chicken from the marinade and add it to the skillet. Cook on one side for 5 to 7 minutes before flipping and cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate, cover with foil, and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Watch how it’s made in this quick video!
How Long Can Chicken Marinate in Yogurt
20 minutes is all you need to marinate your chicken in yogurt to get epic results. While it’s an easy recipe to prep ahead, marinating chicken in yogurt for more than 24 hours is not recommended because the acids in the yogurt and the lemon will begin to break down the protein, and you’ll have tough, rubbery chicken instead.
Favorite Sides for This Recipe
The best part about this chicken recipe is that it literally pairs great with everything! From a simple side salad, a blueberry spinach salad, or coconut cauliflower rice, it’s the perfect protein for any night of the week.
Chicken with Greek Yogurt
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Oil for cooking
- Place chicken breasts on a couple of paper towels and pat dry. Pound the thicker end to make the chicken breasts even, or butterfly the chicken breasts for even cooking.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients to make the yogurt marinade. Place the chicken breasts in the bowl and toss to coat all pieces with the yogurt.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour, up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken bowl from the refrigerator for 15 minutes to remove the chill.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add oil and distribute it around the pan.
- Using a fork, lift the chicken pieces out of the bowl, letting any of the yogurt mixture drip back into the bowl to be discarded.
- Place chicken pieces in the pan, making sure not to overcrowd the pan, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on the first side and an additional 5 to 7 minutes on the other side until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165F. If you butterflied the chicken, the cooking time will be about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan onto a plate, cover them with foil or another plate to keep warm, and cook the remaining pieces if necessary, and serve with your favorite sides.