Need a healthy side dish? This corn and tomato salad with avocado is the perfect side dish for grilling season, and it comes together in just 5 minutes!
Whether you have grilling plans or it’s too hot to cook over a stove, this recipe makes a light and satisfying option to serve with dinner tonight. Let me show you how to make it!
Fresh Tomato and Corn Salad
The fresh flavors of corn and tomato salad with creamy avocado and a sweet and tangy basil dressing make this veggie side dish one your family will love.
It’s the kind of salad you want to serve on hot summer days and super easy to prepare with a few ingredients.
Corn and Tomato Salad Ingredients
Here’s everything you need to make this quick and easy salad:
- fresh basil: brightens the dressing.
- olive oil: mixed with lime juice, honey, and seasonings to coat the veggies in a tangy-sweet dressing.
- lime juice: adds citrusy flavor.
- honey: to balance out the lime juice.
- salt & pepper: can’t do anything without these two!
- sweet corn: use canned or frozen and defrosted corn.
- cherry tomatoes: add a beautiful pop of color and flavor. Swap out with chopped Roma or heirloom tomatoes.
- cucumber: makes this salad super refreshing.
- avocados: adds creamy flavor to every bite!
- shallots: look like a red onion but have a more subtle, sweet flavor that goes great in salads.
- Boston bibb lettuce: used to build ‘cups’ to serve the salad in.
How to Make Corn and Tomato Salad
This salad requires a little bit of chopping, but essentially everything gets tossed in a large bowl with a homemade lime and basil dressing- yum! Here’s what to do:
- Make the dressing
Add the basil, olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt, and black pepper to a lidded jar. Seal the lid and shake to combine.
- Make the salad
Combine the corn, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, and shallot in a large bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Toss to combine.
Use the outer lettuce leaves to build a ‘cup’. Scoop some of the corn and tomato salad into the cup and enjoy!
How easy was that? Watch how to make it in the video below:
This taste of this salad will not disappoint, but if you want to bring more flavor and volume, consider adding or exchanging some of the ingredients in the original recipe for any of the options below:
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup cilantro- swap the chopped basil for cilantro
- ½ cup feta cheese
How to Serve Corn and Tomato Salad
I like to serve this corn and tomato salad in a lettuce cup; it adds even more fresh flavor and crunch alongside grilled proteins or main entrees.
Grab a couple of summer recipes below to serve with this salad, and dinner is done!Print