January 25, 2023
This quick and simple recipe for fettuccine Alfredo sauce made with cream can be prepared in just 10 minutes.
It’s rich, smooth, creamy… and ready to be mixed with your favorite pasta -I’m currently obsessed with Fettuccine.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce with Cream
Alfredo pasta is a classic Italian dish that can be served over pasta on its own or as the base for a hearty dinner recipe by mixing it with chicken, shrimp, or adding vegetables.
Although it can be bought ready-made, nothing can compare to the homemade version. Once you see how simple this recipe is to make, you’ll never go back to the canned option.
This classic recipe uses simple ingredients to make the most delicious sauce of all time. You’ll need:
- Butter: The classic base of alfredo sauce recipes.
- Garlic: You can also use ½ teaspoon of garlic powder if you don’t have a clove.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: For a rich and creamy sauce. You can also make it lighter by reducing the amount of cream and swapping it with whole milk.
- Milk: Use whole milk to enrich the creaminess of this recipe.
- Grated cheese: Parmesan for the classic recipe. You can also mix in some Romano cheese.
- Salt and pepper: A pinch of each!
- Nutmeg: for that classic nutty warmth to balance out the cheese -if you don’t have any, don’t biggie!
Print or reference the recipe card below with the ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions.
Why This Recipe Uses Milk and Cream
Although the classic pasta recipe calls for cream, you can make it with whole milk if you want to make it lighter.
My favorite method is to mix half cream and half milk; since, by doing this you will not sacrifice the creamy texture while still having a slightly lighter recipe.
How to Make Alfredo Sauce with Cream, Fast
Let’s go step-by-step through the process to make this simple and creamy fettuccine alfredo sauce.
- Start with butter
First, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add your ingredients
Pour in the cream and milk, stirring constantly. Add the grated cheese, garlic and spices.
Continue to stir until everything is incorporated.
Lower the heat and continue cooking the alfredo sauce for 5 minutes.
- Combine with pasta
Pour the sauce over your cooked fettuccine noodles, and serve.
Watch how easy this homemade alfredo sauce is made in my quick recipe video.
Serve with one of these favorite pasta side dish ideas.
Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce with Cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup heavy, whipping cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cups grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 16 ounces pasta of your choice
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the box.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and stir to toast it for about a minute, ensuring it doesn’t burn.
- Pour in the cream and milk and stir constantly. Add the grated cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg (if using) and combine. Reduce the heat and continue cooking the Alfredo sauce for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the pasta with the Alfredo sauce, and serve it with additional grated cheese on top.