Today we are making a chicken and spaghetti squash recipe the entire family will rave over, kids included.
Tender spaghetti squash and seared chicken get coated with a creamy garlic sauce for an undeniably delicious meal.
Chicken With Spaghetti Squash
This chicken with spaghetti squash recipe is delicious, elegant, and so easy to make!
In this recipe, we quickly steam the squash in the microwave. Meanwhile, we pan-sear the chicken breasts and make the garlic-butter sauce. The final step is to shred the cooked squash and top it with the pan-seared garlic butter chicken.
The squash is a perfect low-carb swap for regular pasta that soaks up all the garlic sauce flavors. Not only does it taste amazing, but the spaghetti squash lightens it up and provides additional vitamins and fiber.
I also appreciate that the squash can be cooked, shredded, and refrigerated ahead of time. At dinnertime, all that’s left is to prepare the chicken portion, reheat the squash, and serve.
If you prep it ahead, you can cook the squash several different ways. While the microwave is the quickest method, roasting it in the oven adds delicious flavor and is equally simple. You can also make spaghetti squash in the slow cooker, to have it already prepped for you when you’re reading to cook. The choice is yours!
Garlic Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Ingredients
This dish is made with clean and simple ingredients. Aside from the spaghetti squash, most ingredients are already in your fridge and pantry.
- spaghetti squash: a great low-carb substitute for spaghetti. The tender shreds of golden squash have a nutty flavor.
- chicken breasts: use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Italian seasoning: to add flavor to the chicken and sauce.
- olive oil: prevents the chicken from sticking to the skillet.
- lemon juice: adds fresh citrus flavor.
- unsalted butter: browns the garlic and creates a rich sauce that coats the chicken and squash.
- garlic: an aromatic that gives the sauce a wonderful aroma and flavor.
- half and half: makes the sauce super creamy.
- red pepper flakes: for a little extra kick.
- grated Parmesan cheese: aged, sharp Parmesan adds a whole new depth of flavor.
- chopped fresh parsley: for garnish, definitely optional.
You’ll find more recipes that taste this great and are easy to prepare in the Family Kickstart Program.
It’s a real-food based meal plan created with kid-approved recipes, done-for-you shopping lists, and a weekly prep guide to help families save time in the kitchen while enjoying more nutrient-dense meals day after day.
How to Make Garlic Butter Chicken with Spaghetti Squash
Are you ready to make one of the best chicken recipes of your life? Good! Let’s get to it.
- Microwave the spaghetti squash
Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and prick the skin with a fork. Place one half into a baking dish, fill the cavity with water, and cover the second half. Microwave for 10 minutes or until the skin is softened and the squash shreds easily. See other methods of cooking spaghetti squash here, if you have more time.
- Pan-sear the chicken
Season both sides of the chicken with Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. In a large skillet, sear the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165F; squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and set it onto a plate.
- Homemade garlic butter
In the same skillet, brown the garlic with the butter, then slowly add in the half and half and seasonings. Stir in the Parmesan and continue to stir until the sauce is thickened. Add the chicken.
Use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash. Scoop the squash onto a plate and top with chicken, the garlic butter sauce, and chopped parsley.
Watch how this recipe comes together!
Serving Chicken Spaghetti Squash
Want to keep it grain-free? Serve this chicken spaghetti squash dish with a side salad or steamed broccoli. I’ve also included a selection of side dish recipes below that would be spot on, and they’re also grain-free!
- Roasted Lemon Asparagus
- Pan-Seared Brussels Sprouts
- Almond Flour Biscuits
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
Leftover Spaghetti Squash and Chicken
In the rare case that you have leftovers, you can pack this meal away for a satisfying lunch or dinner later in the week. Place the squash and chicken in individual airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
To reheat, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to the dish, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes until the chicken is heated through and the squash is tender. *The plastic wrap creates a steaming effect which prevents the chicken and sauce from drying out.
Garlic Butter Chicken with Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash, washed
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Carefully slice the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape the seeds out and discard. Use a fork to pierce the skin of the squash 6 to 7 times.
- Place one squash half into a microwaveable baking dish. Fill the cavity of the squash with water and place the other half on top, matching the sliced seams of the squash.
- Microwave for 10 minutes, or until the skin is softened and the squash shreds easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, pat dry the chicken breasts with paper towels. Generously season both sides with 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breast and cook for 6 minutes on one side or until the bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over the chicken, turn off the heat, and remove the chicken from the skillet. Set it aside onto a plate and rest for 5 minutes before slicing into diagonal strips.
- Pour the half and half in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute or until warmed.
- To the same skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for one minute, constantly stirring, until fragrant.
- Slowly add the half and half, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and toss to coat with the sauce. Turn the heat to low and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Use a large fork to shred and scrape the cooked squash onto a plate. Top with chicken and lemon-garlic sauce. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve.
- Make sure to heat the half & half prior to adding it to the skillet. This will prevent the sauce from curdling.
- If you don’t have spaghetti squash, you can serve this recipe over regular or gluten-free pasta.