You’re going to love these easy paleo energy balls that taste like dessert and are also a healthy snack!
The recipe yields a batch but one bite, and you’ll be hooked on their super chocolatey flavor and chewy texture.
I often add them in my kids’ lunchbox or afternoon snack for a healthy pick-me-up that they can’t resist.
Paleo Energy Balls Without Dates
These paleo energy balls are made with raisins instead of dates. Raisins are naturally sweet and give the bites a doughy texture that blends perfectly with cocoa powder and vanilla extract. It’s a chewy and chocolatey snack that’s good for you- what’s not to love?
The final touch is to roll the energy balls in shredded coconut. It adds a nice touch and makes them even tastier, but you could swap coconut out for chopped nuts or serve them plain.
Are Energy Balls Actually Healthy?
Chocolate energy balls are a healthy snack that tastes like a treat. Each serving has only 64 calories and 7 grams of carbs and this recipe is made with real ingredients like cashews, raisins, and cocoa powder. There’s no added sugar so you can enjoy a couple of bites guilt-free!
They are also free of gluten, grains, and dairy, which makes them a paleo snack!
Do you have a favorite “bites” recipe? If you’re craving more, be sure to check out all the delicious healthy desserts in my latest cookbook, Clean Treats for Everyone.
Clean Treats Cookbook
Healthy and wholesome dessert recipes you’ll want to eat made with clean ingredients you already have on hand.
Grab your copy today!
Paleo Energy Ball Ingredients
Here’s everything you need to make these chocolate paleo energy balls:
- raisins: give these bites their chewy texture and make a much more affordable option than Medjool dates.
- cashews: blended with the raisins to form a thick paste.
- cocoa powder: for a delicious chocolate flavor.
- vanilla extract: enhances the flavor of the chocolate.
- salt: just a pinch that brings out the sweetness from the raisins and shredded coconut.
- pinch cinnamon: ground cinnamon is optional but I love the flavor in these bites.
- shredded coconut: to roll and coat each energy ball in light coconut flavor.
How to Make Coconut Paleo Energy Balls
To make these coconut paleo energy balls, you will need a food processor or high-speed blender to break down the raisins and cashews. Don’t skip soaking the raisins; they become softer and easier to blend with the rest of the ingredients.
Here’s what to do:
- Soak the raisins
Place the raisins in hot water and let them soak for 5 minutes before draining. Add the shredded coconut onto a plate and set aside.
- Make a paste
Combine the raisins, cashews, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Pulse until the mixture turns to the consistency of sand.
- Scoop and shape
Remove the blade from the food processor and using a spoon, scoop out the dough and roll it into a ball with the palms of your hands.
- Add a little coconut
Roll each ball over the shredded coconut nut and set them in a single layer in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 30 minutes before enjoying.
These bites are good for up to a week in the refrigerator, but I doubt they’ll last that long!
You can see how fast they come together in this quick video and now that you know that they can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to a week; you’ll soon be making them too!
More Paleo Recipes for the Whole Family
Recipes like these paleo energy balls are a perfect example of how eating healthier can be enjoyable for kids and adults. You can take a family-favorite recipe of any kind and recreate it with fresh ingredients without sacrificing the flavor and I show you how to do that in the Family Kickstart Program.
It’s a 30-day paleo meal plan designed to help busy families get on track to better eating. The plan includes easy-to-follow recipes, weekly shopping lists, and a meal prep guide so you can stay organized for the week.
To give you a taste of what the Family Kickstart Program has to offer, below are some of our alumni’s most-loved recipes!
- Spinach & Bacon Breakfast Frittata
- Low Carb Burrito Bowls
- Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- Monster Paleo Cookies
Paleo Energy Balls with No Dates
One bite of these coconut brownie energy bites and you’ll be hooked! They are the perfect before and after workout snack as well as mid-afternoon!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 24–30 bites 1x
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Place raisins in a medium bowl and cover with hot water. Let soak for 5 minutes to soften then drain.
- Place the shredded coconut onto a plate and set it aside.
- Add raisins and all remaining ingredients, except the shredded coconut, into a food processor and pulse until the mixture turns into the consistency of sand. Remove the blade from the unit.
- Using a spoon or your hands, scoop out the dough and roll it into a ball with the palms of your hands.
- Roll each brownie bite over the shredded coconut and set onto a parchment-lined plate or in an airtight container.
- Chill the bites for 30 minutes before enjoying. Refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Serving Size: 1 bite
- Calories: 64
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 26.2mg
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: paleo energy balls, chocolate energy balls