The first time I tried jerk chicken on a skewer my taste buds said: “we want more!” And over the years I’ve attempted jerk chicken everything! But today’s recipe is one of my favorite ways to enjoy it, in the form of a taco. Watch how they are made in this video:
Yup, these Jamaican Jerk Chicken tacos are perfectly grilled spicy and smoky tender pieces of chicken, wrapped up in a warm tortilla and drizzled with a creamy sauce that I’m head over heels for. And so will you when you make these Jerk Chicken Tacos.
No, Jerk is not a person but a style of cooking that originated in Jamaica. Meat gets dry rubbed with a seasoning and slow smoked to a tender, fall apart work of art.
Now since you and I don’t have a smoker sitting in the kitchen (and if you do, I’d like to meet you), we are gonna whip these bad boys in the skillet a lot faster.
The skillet version makes this flavor experience fast and perfect for busy weeknights when you need to get a good meal on the table QUICKLY. It also gives us the opportunity to toss in some pineapple to amp up that WOW factor.
Seriously, you need to add the pineapple. Use frozen or canned if you must but don’t skimp on it. You need the sweetness to tame down the spicy.
The pineapple adds a sweet, tangy kick and gets that nice charred outer edge from the pan drippings. Pair that with smoky chicken, sour cream and lime drizzle, and you’ll fall in love all over again, with tacos.
Speaking of, the drizzle, it’s definitely worth the 1 minute it takes to put together. Make it a few days ahead of time, no more than 3, after that it’s not so great for drizzling. But it won’t last too long because this liquid gold is excellent on these tacos, or salads, sandwiches, and anything else your heart desires, I won’t judge.
I’d be cheating you if I said the chicken and pineapple mixture is great, only for tacos. There are so many other ways you can take this recipe and make other yummy meals! I like putting it on top salads for an over-the-top office lunch. Use it to top a cheese pizza for pizza night (pineapple does belong on pizza) or sauté it with some extra veggies for a quick stir-fry.
Me, I’m going to stick to these tacos for a while. More tacos = happy mama. Happy mama = happy house, which proves my statement that tacos are a part of a healthy lifestyle.
Jerk Chicken Tacos
This recipe is from Laura’s Cookbook, The Taco Tuesday Cookbook.
Jerk chicken tacos with savory pineapple & lime sauce, is an experience for your taste buds. This epic taco night recipe is made in the skillet, 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Cuisine: Tacos
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp Jamaican jerk seasoning, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 cups purple and green shredded cabbage
- 8 corn tortillas, store-bought or homemade, warmed
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lime juice, and 2 teaspoons of the jerk seasoning. Cover and refrigerate while you make the tacos.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken strips with the remaining 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning to coat evenly.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with another plate to keep warm.
- Add the chopped pineapple to the skillet and cook with the leftover seasoning and tidbits in the pan for 3 to 4 minutes, until the pineapple is browned and its juices have begun to break down. Remove the pan from the heat, return the chicken to the pan, and toss to combine.
- To assemble the tacos, make a bed of cabbage on each tortilla, top with a scoop of the chicken and pineapple mixture, drizzle some jerk cream sauce on top, and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 463
- Sugar: 9.4g
- Sodium: 118.1mg
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 37.5g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 42.7g
- Cholesterol: 135.4mg
Keywords: jerk chicken, chicken tacos, spicy chicken tacos