This Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice recipe is everything you love about the classic Mediterranean flavors packed in every bite!
This simple low-carb recipe makes a terrific healthy side dish where you’re never left feeling left out! This way, you can have your “rice” and eat it too.
Low Carb Mediterranean Side Dish
If you’re on a low-carb diet, using cauliflower rice to build this recipe is the perfect solution. With crisp cucumber, tart kalamata olives, juicy tomatoes, and a little olive oil, this low-carb Mediterranean side dish has it all!
Plus, can we all agree that cauliflower is the vegetable that just keeps on giving? Not only is it nutrient-rich and a great addition to a healthy diet, but it really does have the texture and taste of rice.
Mediterranean Riced Cauliflower Ingredients
What I love about the ingredients listed below is that they’re all found in many of my Mediterranean-inspired dishes and they all contribute to adding flavor and texture to this recipe.
Here is what you’ll need:
- head of cauliflower: riced or store-bought riced cauliflower. Make sure to ring out as much water as possible if using frozen.
- olive oil: essential in Mediterranean cooking.
- red onion: diced into small pieces.
- garlic cloves: minced garlic cloves add the most flavor but garlic powder can be used too.
- dried oregano: you could also use Italian seasoning.
- cumin: adds a hint of smokiness to this flavor.
- salt & pepper: for seasoning.
- lemon: to add flavor from the juice and from the zest.
- kalamata olives: a classic flavor.
- cherry tomatoes: for freshness and volume.
- English cucumber: so much crunchy and so good.
- feta cheese: my Greek dad would be offended if I didn’t include it in my recipe.
How to Make Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
The best part of making Mediterranean cauliflower rice is that it cooks really fast! Gather your ingredients because the rest is fairly simple.
Here is how to make this recipe:
- Rice the head of cauliflower
If using a head of cauliflower, rice it first. Check out How to Make Cauliflower Rice in the Blender to make it in under a minute!
- Cook the garlic
Heat up a large skillet to medium heat, once hot, heat up the oil. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 3 minutes, until softened, then add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the rice and veggies
To the skillet, add the cauliflower rice and stir to combine with the veggies. Add the oregano, cumin, salt and pepper, and zest of one lemon, and stir to combine the seasoning with the cauliflower rice while it cooks. Continue stirring while the cauliflower rice cooks down for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon and olives
Turn off the heat and squeeze half of the lemon into the rice and the kalamata olives and mix to incorporate it into the cauliflower rice.
- Serve and add toppings
Serve hot garnished with cherry tomatoes, English cucumber, and feta cheese.