What would living in New Orleans be without a good muffuletta? I’m not sure, but I do not want to find out! This New Orleans Muffuletta is one I love to make for parties and entertaining. It’s a crowd pleaser!
Ready to dive in? Jump to the part of this post you are looking for by clicking one of the links below.
🥪 What is a Muffuletta Sandwich?
What exactly is a muffuletta? A muffuletta is a deli sandwich topped with fresh olive salad. It’s also made on a 9″ round italian bread. The “locals” are very particular about where they buy their muffulettas. Personally, I love the ones from Central Grocery by the French Market.
Since I live in suburbia, going to Central Grocery to pick up one of these is not an option -a ninety mile round trip would make it a very expensive sandwich!
The key to a good muffuletta is the quality of the ingredients in it. Most importantly, where your olive salad is made being the biggest factor.
A funny story: I went to the store to purchase olive salad and they were out of “my” brand. I purchased one that said Muffuletta Olive Salad (warning! warning!) and brought it home. When I opened the glass jar, it tasted funny… I looked at where it was made… and it said made in Chicago. What?! (nothing against Chicago).
Off I went again to my local WinnDixie and purchased a New Orleans brand. Whew! Seriously, it’s not the same.
Let’s go through some of the key ingredients so you too, can make your own at home. Shall we?
- Round Loaf Italian Bread
- Olive Salad
- Capicola or Deli Ham
- Genoa Salami
- Sliced Mozzarella
- Provolone Cheese
The Bread: 9-10″ round Italian bread.
Olive Oil: I like to moisten my halves with some good Spanish extra virgin olive oil.
Then you have the Capicola ham and salami. Ask the person behind the counter to slice them thin.
Thinly sliced mozzarella and smoked provolone…
Start placing the olive salad in the middle and then work your way out.
This is the most beautiful pie I’ve seen in a long time…
Oh.my.goodness. The combination of the salty meats, the smoked cheese, the strong olive oil flavor and the crunch of the olive salad… Please. refrain from licking or biting your screen. Your device will not like it.
We like to quarter our muffulettas and eat them for lunch (ok, anytime is good too). If you want, you can toast the whole muffuletta, prior to cutting, in your oven for a few minutes to give the bread a little crunch and melt the cheese.
Oh lordy. Yes, I am finished. You may proceed to print the recipe and make your own. Me? off to lick my fingers.
Ps – If you are wondering how your next lunch idea could possibly top this one, I’ve totally got you covered. Grab one of my meal plans here to treat yourself (and your family) to yummy meals like this one after another!
New Orleans Muffuletta Recipe
This muffuletta sandwich recipe is made in the authentic New Orlean’s style! Flavorful and delicious, your muffuletta can be prepared in minutes so you can enjoy it any time of day.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Lunch
- 1 10″ round loaf Italian bread
- 1 cup Olive Salad
- 1/4 lb Capicola or deli ham (4–6 slices)
- 1/4 lb Genoa Salami (6–8 slices)
- 1/4 lb Mortadella (4–6 slices)
- 1/8 lb Sliced Mozzarella (3–4 thin slices)
- 1/8 lb Provolone (3–4 thin slices)
- Slice the round bread in half and open both sides on a flat surface.
- Brush both inner sides of the bread with oil from the Olive Salad or extra virgin olive oil, go a little heavier on the bottom.
- Begin layering thre ham, salami, and mortadella on the bottom half of the bread. Top with cheeses.
- Next, add the olive salad from the center out and spread it, leaving about a half-inch around the edge. Place the top half of the bread over the olive mixture, and press down to let the bread absorb the olive salad juices.
- Using a bread knife, slice into 4 to 6 wedges.
- Optional: place the whole sandwich, before slicing, on a large baking sheet, and toast/warm-up in a 350F preheated oven for about 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich slice
- Calories: 689
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 2162.5mg
- Fat: 44.2g
- Saturated Fat: 14.4g
- Carbohydrates: 45.1g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 29g
- Cholesterol: 78.6mg
Keywords: muffuletta, muffuletta recipe, muffaletta sandwich, muffuletta sandwich, muffuletta New Orleans