Imagine, a stack of perfectly fluffy pancakes piled high with the best pancake toppings ever… drool!
Also, just a typical weekend morning at my house. And while I’ve never in my life gotten tired of traditional pancakes topped with butter and maple syrup… sometimes it’s a go big or go home kind of day.
Not ready to go big? Make a batch of this Homemade Strawberry Syrup, that should get your morning going.
Pancakes are on repeat at my house for breakfast and even for dinner. In fact, if you watch my Instagram stories on any given week, you’ll see me whip some up at least once.
One instant thing that will upgrade your pancake experience is the syrup. While there’s nothing wrong with store-bought syrup, add a little something-something and you can enjoy one of these incredible syrups on top of your pancakes.
Homemade Pancake Syrups
While everyone loves maple syrup, we like to mix it up at our house! Try one of these amazing homemade syrups the next time you make pancakes!
Cinnamon Syrup Recipe
Delicious homemade Cinnamon Syrup, made with freshest cinnamon and perfect for topping cinnamon pancakes, waffles or even french toast.
Strawberry syrup made with fresh fruit. A healthier pancake topping full of flavor, inspired by what you’d get at a pancake restaurant.
This homemade blueberry syrup recipe is made with fresh or frozen blueberries and is a tasty topping to any pancake or waffle recipe.
Best Pancake Toppings
There’s syrup, and then there are toppings. The best pancake toppings make syrup optional. Here is some pancake topping inspiration:
- Roasted strawberries
- Bananas, sliced
- Kiwi, diced
- Cherries (pitted)
- Pineapple, diced
- Baked apples
- Coconut flakes
- Chopped cranberries
Keep your pancakes warm with one of these 3 methods while you prep these pancake toppings.
Healthy Pancake Toppings
There are other healthy pancake toppings that are not fruit. Want a little crunch? Add some of these for a change.
- Flavored yogurt (anything from strawberry to coconut!)
- Toasted pecans
- Chopped walnuts
- Almond slivers
- Macadamia nuts
- Applesauce, unsweetened
- Dried raisins
- Carrots, shredded
Sweet Pancake Toppings
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Powdered sugar
- Mini M&Ms
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Crushed candy canes
- Graham cracker crumbs
Sauces & Spreads
- Ice Cream
- Whipped cream
- Cream cheese
- Peanut butter
- Nutella or Nut-free sunflower spread
- Almond butter
- Fruit compote
- Apple butter
- Caramel sauce
- Marshmallow cream
- Chocolate sauce
- Apple butter
Savory Pancake Toppings
- Bacon, crumbled
- Fried Eggs
- Hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Ricotta cheese, spread over pancakes
- Cottage cheese
- Avocado slices
- Spinach, chopped
Pancake Topping Flavor Combinations
- Peaches & Cream – Sliced peaches & whipped cream
- Cheesecake – Cream cheese, strawberry sauce and graham cracker crumbs
- Apple Pie – Baked apples and cinnamon
- Cinnamon Roll – Vanilla glaze and cinnamon
- S’mores – Marshmellow cream, chocolate sauce and mini marshmallows
- Turtle – Caramel sauce, chocolate shavings and mixed nuts
- PB&J – Peanut butter and jelly or strawberry syrup
- White Raspberry – Raspberries and white chocolate chips
- Raspberry Cheesecake – Whipped cream cheese spread and raspberries
- Triple Berry – Strawberries, blackberries and blueberry syrup
- Tropical – Coconut flakes, crushed pineapple and whipped cream
- Chocolate Covered Banana – Chocolate chips and banana slices
- Pumpkin Pie – Pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup
After these epic pancake toppings and combinations, you might have wondered: “what about what goes IN the pancakes?” Find my favorite pancake batter mix-ins here, and then try one of these epic pancake recipes from my site.
All of these recipes are tried, true and sure to please a crowd!
If you love the toppings but need the base, below are some pancake recipes to get you started!
- Ultimate Fluffy Pancakes
- Gluten-Free Pancakes
- Vegan Pancakes
- Yogurt Pancakes
- Paleo Pancakes (Cassava Flour)
- Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Healthy Pumpkin Pancakes
- Double Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Cinnamon Pancakes
- Banana Bread Pancakes
- Whole Grain Pumpkin Pancakes
- Eggnog Pancakes
- Pancake Tacos (I had to)
I have to know – which pancake & pancake topping combination will you try first?