May 30, 2022
Whether you need roasted strawberries to make a recipe, top ice cream, or have a batch of not-so-sweet berries you want to avoid wasting, this recipe is simple and works every time!
Grab your strawberries, something to sweeten them with, and a little vanilla, and keep reading to make juicy, delicious, and sweet roasted strawberries!
Oven-roasted strawberries are a great way to use up no-so-ripe berries that taste more tart than sweet, preserve an abundance of fresh berries, and even use up last season’s frozen berries you just found in the back of the freezer.
The best thing about oven-roasted strawberries is that the simple process brings them back to life, brings out the sweet flavors of the natural sugars present in your berries, and gets the flavors you dreamed of in one easy swoop.
Does Roasting Strawberries Make them Sweeter?
When you roast strawberries, the natural sugars found in the fruit are caramelized, and the result is a sweeter strawberry with a softer texture and deep, rich strawberry flavor.
Roasted Strawberry Ingredients
Preheat your oven and get these roasted strawberries going with these ingredients:
- Strawberries: the star of the show! Wash them and remove the stem if using fresh, thaw them out if using frozen. Does not matter how ripe or not they are.
- Honey or Sugar: a little mixed with the strawberries will help bring out their natural juices during roasting
- Vanilla: this aromatic will enhance the rich deep flavors of roasting fruit. Use extract or paste.
How to Roast Strawberries
To roast strawberries you’ll need an oven since the high temperature in a short amount of time will do all the work for you and make these the juiciest berries ever! Here is what you’ll need to do:
- Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 375F and position the rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Wash & Prep
Wash the strawberries, remove the stem, and cut them into similar-sized pieces.
In a large bowl, combine diced strawberries, honey or sugar, and vanilla bean paste or extract. Spread the strawberries on the lined baking sheet.
Bake the strawberries for approximately 25 minutes, until they are juicy, soft, and they’ve turned a darker red color.
Baking time will vary depending on the size you cut your berries. Check the oven for around minute 20 or 22.
Watch this video to see the baked strawberries come together.
What Temperature is Best for Roasting Strawberries
Roasting refers to setting your oven at 375F (190 C) and this is a great temperature to cook your berries and release their natural juices and flavors. But you can also roast berries at lower or higher temperatures using this guide.
|350F (177C)||30 min|
|375F (190C)||25 min|
|400F (200C)||20 min|
The most important part is to keep an eye on your berries since cooking time will vary by the size of the strawberry pieces.
How to Use Roasted Strawberries
Roasted strawberries are a terrific topping for ice cream, served on top of waffles or pancakes as a sauce, on top of melty marshmallows inside s’mores, and more!
Here are a few recipes that pair well with roasted strawberries:
- Strawberry S’mores
- Banana Waffles
- Double Chocolate Pancakes
- Healthy Almond Flour Brownies
- French Toast Sticks
Easy Roasted Strawberries
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey or sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, seeds removed or
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190 C) and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. If you use a silicone mat, you can slide the berries off when they are done, right into your jar!
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, honey, and vanilla bean seeds or extract. Transfer the strawberry mixture to the lined baking sheet .
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, remove from oven and allow berries to cool down to room temperature. Once cooled, transfer roasted berries into to a glass jar.
- Refrigerate roasted berries, once cooled, for up to 1 week.