October 5, 2020
These roasted radishes and carrots give those forgotten vegetables a tender and golden brown makeover you’ll want to include with all your favorite entrées.
Raw radishes are known to have a bitter taste, but trust me, this disappears once they spend 20 minutes in the oven.
Roasting brings out natural sugars in any vegetable, giving them a caramelized, toasty flavor that’s quite addictive. Not to mention how much easier it is to toss everything on the sheet pan and let the oven do all the work.
Once you start roasting vegetables, it’s quite hard to enjoy them any other way.
Prepping Radishes and Carrots for Cooking
If you aren’t familiar with radishes, roasting is a great way to introduce this simple vegetable to your family. They develop a delicious, slightly sweet flavor in the oven that’s even further enhanced next to the carrots.
Below are a few tips on how to prep radishes and carrots for the oven:
Cut the veggies into uniform shapes and sizes
About 1-inch pieces. This way, everything will cook through and finish at the same time.
Remove roots and tops
The green stems and roots are tough and don’t taste that great.
Skin-on or off?
Leaving the skin on the radishes is optional. Much like potatoes, it isn’t tough and adds a little extra flavor, which is why I leave them unpeeled.
Make Next: Roasted Beets
Roasting Radishes and Carrots
It’s really as simple as chopping the veggies, tossing with oil and seasonings, then roasting them to golden brown perfection. Here’s how to make all of that happen:
Preheat the oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add oil and seasoning
In a large bowl, combine the prepped veggies with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat the veggies and transfer them to the lined baking sheet.
Roast for 18 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and fork-tender.
What to Cook with Radishes and Carrots
These roasted radishes and carrots are the type of side dish you’d serve with a chicken recipe, am I right?
- Melt in Your Mouth Chicken
- Juicy Pan Seared Chicken Breasts
- Honey Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Over a Winter Salad
Chicken is my family’s favorite protein and super easy to create a balanced meal, like the recipes above and others found in my Chicken. It’s What’s for Dinner ebook.
There are over 70 recipes with chicken, so your family won’t be bored anytime soon. All that’s needed is a yummy vegetable dish to make it a complete meal.
Roasted Radishes and Carrots
- 1 lb fresh radishes, greens removed and quartered into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, about ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the radishes and carrots with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat the veggies and transfer to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven to 18 to 20 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the veggies are golden brown and tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve.