This roasted vegetable seasoning is all you need to turn plain vegetables into seasoned-to-perfection roasted veggies!
It’s made with basic spices you probably have on hand, and quite frankly, it’s like fairy dust for vegetables, proteins, and everything in between. When I don’t know what to use to season something, this is my go-to mix.
Seasoning Roasted Vegetables
While roasting or baking vegetables brings out their natural sweetness, seasoning the vegetables with spices is what really adds flavor to your meal.
There are numerous ways to season your vegetables, and the spice combinations are endless; it depends on what flavor profile you want to go with for that meal.
At a bare minimum, after dicing, slicing, or chopping your vegetables, you should drizzle them with some extra virgin olive oil and salt. The roasted vegetable seasoning I’m sharing today is added to that base for flavoring. Just watch how easy it is to make your own seasoning for roasted vegetables.
Best Roasted Vegetable Seasoning Combination
The classic combination of onion, garlic, parsley, and paprika is the best-roasted vegetable seasoning combination -according to my grandmother, that is.
I grew up in Spain, where we add garlic, onions, and parsley to many of our Mediterranean dishes, so paprika is an added spice to create depth to the sweetness of roasted vegetables or any protein.
For this recipe, you can use smoked paprika for a smoky profile, sweet paprika for sweetness, and even spicy paprika. It depends on the flavors you enjoy eating.
Best Oil for Roasting Vegetables
For vegetables, olive oil is my go-to when roasting. It helps veggies cook up with the crispiness we love and adds a unique flavor to the meal that you can’t get with any other oil.
Since you’re probably roasting vegetables below 425F, you don’t need to worry about exceeding the oil’s smoking point -which in fact, it depends on the quality of the oil you purchase.
I prefer single-origin olive oil from either Spain, Italy, or California.
Preparing Vegetables for Roasting
Before seasoning, you’ll need to wash, dry, and prep your vegetables so they are ready to take on the spices you’ll be adding.
Preparing vegetables for roasting is easy. You’ll need to make sure your veggies are washed and dry before preparing.
Seasoned Roasted Vegetables
Seasoned roasted vegetables are the perfect side dish for any meal. I also love preparing a large sheet pan and having a healthy side for multiple meals. Here is how to do it:
- Preheat oven to 400F (some ovens have roast setting; otherwise, use the bake setting).
- Wash, dry, and prep (chop, dice, or slice vegetables to the desired size).
- Place vegetables on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Sprinkle seasoning over the vegetables.
- With your hands (or kitchen tongs) toss to distribute the olive oil and seasoning evenly on all the vegetables.
- Roast vegetables according to the recipe’s specifications generally; a ½″ thick vegetable will need approx. 35minutes.
Tips for Perfectly Roasted Vegetables
With minimal effort, you can have an epic meal that will yield lots of nutrition. That said, there are some tips for perfectly roasted vegetables you might want to note:
- Oven rack placement: make sure the top oven rack is positioned in the middle of the oven. Any higher, and your vegetables might burn. If roasting multiple baking pans, place the second directly below and swap placement halfway through roasting, about 20 minutes in.
- Even size: dicing, chopping, or slicing your vegetable pieces into an even size will ensure they are all cooked evenly so one piece won’t be soft and tender while another is still too tough to eat.
- Follow a recipe: when in doubt, following a recipe is always a great idea, so you know how long to cook your meal. If not, check on your sheet pan once the veggies have begun to change color and texture, approximately after 25 to 30 minutes.
- Less is more: when it comes to seasoning, you can always add, but you can’t remove. Make sure to not over-season your vegetables -especially with salt- so you can taste your veggies as well not just the seasoning.
Which Roasted Vegetables Are Best for This Seasoning
The best vegetables for roasting are always those that are in season and the ones you like best! There’s no point in roasting veggies that won’t get eaten; and with so many vegetables to choose from, the possibilities for a variety of side dishes are endless!
Roasted Vegetable Seasoning
- ¼ cup granulated onion, or powder
- ¼ cup granulated garlic, or powder
- ¼ cup dried parsley
- ¼ cup paprika*
- In a small bowl, combine onion, garlic, parsley, and paprika. Mix to combine. Store in an air-tight jar in the pantry for up to 6 months.
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 teaspoons of roasted vegetable seasoning per 4 cups of chopped vegetables -about an entire sheet pan.
Want to add salt? Add 3 tablespoons to the bowl, mix with the other seasonings, and transfer to the jar.