Smoky salsa verde chicken cooked to tender perfection and loaded in a crunchy taco shell with pico de gallo and avocado: simply amazing! This delectable recipe you can easily make in the crockpot is one you’ll devour!
Epic Salsa Verde Tacos
I’m gonna tell you now. Put salsa verde in your shopping list this week. And chicken. And tortillas…. OMG. All it takes is one bite, and you’ll be hooked on this Salsa Verde Chicken.
Talk about delicious, this is one of my favorite chicken taco recipes! It’s mouthwatering good and a meal my kids LOVE. Everyone gets excited as soon as the scent of somethin’ cooking fills the house. Best of all, the slow cooker takes care of all the cooking.
The salsa verde adds an incredible depth of flavor; but if you’re a busy mom, go ahead and grab that 12-ounce jar from the grocery store. Because let me tell you that this is a stress-free taco zone and it still tastes pretty amazing!
Thanks to these ingredients, Taco Tuesdays never tasted this good! Check out what you need for this incredible Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Taco recipe:
- Chicken: boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Salsa verde: what makes this recipe so epic! You can make it at home or buy it.
- Honey: balance the tanginess of salsa verde.
- Lime: adds a nice citric note.
- Taco seasoning: more flavor!
- Taco shells: my favorites for this recipe. Have corn or flour tortilla on hand? Use them!
- Shredded cheese: I include Monterey Jack cheese, but you can use your favorite!
- Shredded lettuce: for the base of these tacos.
- Pico de Gallo: a classic topping that always goes great. Salsa makes a perfect swap!
- Avocado: makes any taco better!
Remember to grab the ingredient measurements in the printable recipe card below.
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos in the Slow Cooker
This busy mom loves throwing everything in the crockpot and smelling that dinner ready when I get home. So easy and soooo delicious! Here’s how you can enjoy these Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos too:
- Prep the chicken
Put the chicken breasts in a slow cooker and top with the salsa verde, honey, lime juice, and seasoning.
- Cook the chicken
Cover and cook in high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 hours or until the meat separates easily with a fork.
- Shred it!
Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board and use 2 forks to shred the meat.
- Keep cooking
Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker, cover, and cook for an additional 30 minutes to allow the meat to absorb the sauce and seasonings. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a serving platter, leaving the excess liquid in the slow cooker.
- Serve and enjoy!
Stuff each taco shell with the chicken and top with cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo, and avocado.
Check out how I pull this Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Taco recipe off in the video below!
I like to double the recipe for this salsa verde chicken, because leftovers are better the second and third day, as the chicken soaks up more flavor from the tangy sauce. I use it to make a lunch salad or serve this tasty Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta for dinner!
Can I use chicken thighs for these tacos?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs to make salsa verde chicken tacos.
Best toppings & Sides
Yes, this can get even better! I love to top these tacos with shredded cheese, avocado, and pico de gallo (or salsa). Before assembling them, I add shredded lettuce to the bottom of the taco shells. It’s a perfect combo of flavor and texture! Sour cream, olives, or shredded cabbage are other terrific toppings.
Don’t miss out! Find this recipe and 51 others in The Taco Tuesday Cookbook!
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
For the salsa verde chicken:
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa verde
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup lime juice, about 4 limes
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
For the tacos:
- 8 taco shells
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- Pico de Gallo
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
Cook the chicken:
- Put the chicken breasts in a slow cooker and top with the salsa verde, honey, lime juice, and seasoning.
- Cover and cook in high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 hours or until the meat separates easily with a fork.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board and use 2 forks to shred the meat. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker, cover, and cook for an additional 30 minutes to allow the meat to absorb the sauce and seasonings.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a serving platter, leaving the excess liquid in the slow cooker.
Assemble the tacos:
- Stuff each taco shell with the chicken and top with cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo, and avocado.