It doesn’t get better than a delicious chicken taco for dinner, and today I’m sharing 12 recipes you can make on any busy weeknight.
If your family is anything like mine, then they are easily won over by tacos. While I have a ton of recipes, my gang is head over heels for chicken tacos of any kind.
Whether you want to stick to traditional taco ingredients or try something new, I’ve got a recipe for you.
How to Make Chicken Tacos: The Basics
You can make tacos in a skillet, slow cooker, or oven, and I’ve got the recipes to prove it, but no matter how you cook them, the basics for killer tacos are:
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Perfectly cooked chicken
- Drizzles- aka, sauce
If you have all of these items, then you’re all set for a delicious experience.
The Best Chicken for Tacos
For the yummiest chicken tacos, I recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. I prefer using chicken thighs since the dark meat is moist and more flavorful.
Recipes like my slow cooker salsa chicken and classic chicken fajitas will give you the right idea of how chicken for tacos should taste, and you can make either recipe with thighs or chicken breast.
Chicken Taco Recipes
These are just 12 of the 52 incredible taco recipes you’ll find in my Taco Tuesday cookbook. It has everything you need to make Tuesday the best night of the week for a year.
Topping your taco is the fun part, and I like to pull out all the works. Below are a few ideas to make your next taco night epic.
- Diced avocado
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream or Mexican crema
- Cheese- queso fresco, Cotija, shredded
- Drizzles- Cilantro Lime Dressing is a good start
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce
- Chopped cilantro
If you don’t see one of your favorite ingredients or sauces, be sure to add it to this list. My go-to’s are guac, pico, and sour cream- can’t be that flavor combo!
Epic Chicken Tacos
- Put the chicken breasts in a slow cooker and top with salsa verde, honey, lime juice, and taco seasoning.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 hours, or until the meat separates easily with a fork.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to the cutting board and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, cover, and cook for an additional 30 minutes to allow the meat to absorb the sauce and seasonings.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a serving platter, leaving the excess liquid in the slow cooker.
- Stuff each taco shell with chicken and top with cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo, and avocado