Aug 26, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
It doesn’t get better than a delicious chicken taco for dinner, and today I’m sharing 12 recipes you can make on any busy weeknight.
If your family is anything like mine, then they are easily won over by tacos. While I have a ton of recipes, my gang is head over heels for chicken tacos of any kind.
Whether you want to stick to traditional taco ingredients or try something new, I’ve got a recipe for you.
How to Make Chicken Tacos: The Basics
You can make tacos in a skillet, slow cooker, or oven, and I’ve got the recipes to prove it, but no matter how you cook them, the basics for killer tacos are:
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Perfectly cooked chicken
- Drizzles- aka, sauce
If you have all of these items, then you’re all set for a delicious experience.
The Best Chicken for Tacos
For the yummiest chicken tacos, I recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. I prefer using chicken thighs since the dark meat is moist and more flavorful.
Recipes like my slow cooker salsa chicken and classic chicken fajitas will give you the right idea of how chicken for tacos should taste, and you can make either recipe with thighs or chicken breast.
Tender chicken in a tangy, smoky sauce… these Salsa Verde Tacos are going to be your new favorite slow-cooker recipe.
This recipe is your ideal chicken taco with tender chicken stuffed inside a tortilla and topped with fresh pico, sour cream, and avocado. After your first bite, you’ll know why these are a favorite.
The homemade Honey Sriracha sauce is what gives these chicken tacos epic flavor. Top them with crisp shredded lettuce and an extra drizzle of sriracha.
Smoky enchilada sauce with shredded chicken and guac- you’re going to want to make these enchilada tacos on repeat. Use a rotisserie chicken to cut down on cooking time and clean up.
Packed with flavor, fresh veggies, and tender chicken- who doesn’t love fajitas? In this recipe, I show you how to recreate this Tex-Mex favorite so you can enjoy it from home.
Hold the rice. This teriyaki chicken is made for a tortilla and a drizzle of Magic Pineapple Sauce.
Tostadas are the crunchy, flat version of soft corn tortillas, and its round surface makes them perfect for loading with toppings like shredded BBQ chicken and cheese.
Seasoned chicken with tangy pineapple and a drizzle of creamy sauce these Jerk Chicken Tacos are a priority.
Grab a soft tortilla and fill it with slow cooker buffalo chicken, Blue cheese, and a drizzle of Homemade Ranch Dressing. You’ll be glad you did.
Another buffalo chicken taco recipe. This version is made in the skillet and is just as good.
Another slow cooker taco recipe that’s flavorful and easy to assemble. Load these up with all your favorite taco toppings like guac, sour cream, and cheese.
Chicken slow-cooked in a Thai marinade to fall apart perfection and topped with a cabbage slaw and homemade Peanut sauce, it’s the low-carb taco you didn’t know you needed.
These are just 12 of the 52 incredible taco recipes you’ll find in my Taco Tuesday cookbook. It has everything you need to make Tuesday the best night of the week for a year.
Topping your taco is the fun part, and I like to pull out all the works. Below are a few ideas to make your next taco night epic.
- Diced avocado
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream or Mexican crema
- Cheese- queso fresco, Cotija, shredded
- Drizzles- Cilantro Lime Dressing is a good start
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce
- Chopped cilantro
If you don’t see one of your favorite ingredients or sauces, be sure to add it to this list. My go-to’s are guac, pico, and sour cream- can’t be that flavor combo!
Epic Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
- 2 lbs chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 cup salsa verde
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 taco shells
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Pico de gallo
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled, and diced
- Put the chicken breasts in a slow cooker and top with salsa verde, honey, lime juice, and taco seasoning.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 hours, or until the meat separates easily with a fork.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to the cutting board and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, cover, and cook for an additional 30 minutes to allow the meat to absorb the sauce and seasonings.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a serving platter, leaving the excess liquid in the slow cooker.
- Stuff each taco shell with chicken and top with cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo, and avocado
Leave a Reply