Below are the tips and shortcuts for preparing this Taco Tuesday recipe with little work!
Chicken Teriyaki Tacos
These teriyaki chicken tacos are easy to throw down and get your chicken taco night going. Since chicken can be marinated overnight in teriyaki sauce, make your life easy and take care of that the day before, so when it’s time to get your tacos on, you’re ready to roll!
Amazing teriyaki chicken only comes from soaking up a good Teriyaki sauce. If you make your own Teriyaki sauce, it will undoubtedly be the bomb.com, but this gal is using a bottled version and callin’ it a night.
Can we talk about the toppings for a sec? Crunchy lettuce, shredded cheese, and the most delicious tangy-sweet pineapple sauce and pieces. So.much.yes!
Crunchy. Fresh. Juicy. Ridiculously tasty. The mix of chicken, Teriyaki sauce, and basic staples makes every bite of these tacos a complete feast!
Here’s what you need:
- Chicken breasts: boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced into strips.
- Teriyaki sauce: homemade or store-bought.
- Vegetable oil: for cooking the chicken.
- Romaine: finely shredded lettuce for the taco base.
- Monterey Jack Cheese: or your favorite shredded cheese!
- Tortillas: you can use flour or corn tortillas.
- Pineapple: pieces on top for sweet tidbits.
- Creamy pineapple sauce: a couple of ingredients you can throw in your blender for a sweet and creamy optional drizzle.
You’ll find the measurements for this recipe in the printable card below.
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken Tacos
Marinate the chicken, cook it quickly in the skillet, and get ready to hear everyone at home running to the table for the most epic Taco Tuesday!
Check how easy these Teriyaki Chicken Tacos are to make:
Put the chicken breast strips in an airtight container or zip-top plastic bag. Add ½ cup of the teriyaki sauce, seal, and toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Cook the chicken
In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook for about 5 minutes, flip, and cook on the other side for 7 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove the pan from the heat, add remaining ½ cup teriyaki sauce, and toss to coat the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Make the sauce
Add the yogurt, pineapple, and a bit of spice in the blender to make an optional creamy drizzle that takes these up a notch.
- Load up the tortillas
Layer the shredded lettuce, cheese, teriyaki chicken, and ½ cup pineapple piences on the tortillas. Drizzle the creamy pineapple sauce over the top.
More a visual learner? This video shows you the easy step-by-step:
If you need a less hands-on version, you could make this baked teriyaki chicken by tossing the pineapple with the chicken, so everything gets baked into a delicious, caramelized Teriyaki goodness.
What to Serve with These Chicken Tacos
These tacos pair amazingly well with a simple pineapple salsa I quickly combine in the blender or with this fresh pineapple salsa when you crave a little more crunchiness and heat. Other great toppings are guacamole, pico de gallo, corn and black bean salsa, sour cream, cilantro lime sauce, shredded red cabbage, or shredded carrots.
More Asian-Fusion Taco Recipes
While the good ole Tex-Mex tacos are always a keeper, there’s something special about Asian fusion tacos. The tangy, sweet, savory Asian flavors and textures are tucked in a warm tortilla. OOH my!
The Taco Tuesday Cookbook
These recipes will make every taco night the most exciting meal of your week! Eat great tacos, at home.
Grab your copy today!
Teriyaki Chicken Tacos
For the Tacos:
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1 cup Teriyaki sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups Romaine lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, or your favorite
- 12 flour or corn tortillas, warmed
For the Pineapple Salsa
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks, divided
- ½ lime, juiced
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
Make the sauce:
- In a blender, blend the yogurt, ½ cup pineapple chunks, juice from ½ lime, and cayenne pepper (if using) until smooth. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Marinate the chicken:
- Put the chicken breast strips in an airtight container or zip top plastic bag. Add ½ cup of the teriyaki sauce, seal, and toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
Cook the chicken:
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook for about 5 minutes, flip, and cook on the other side for 7 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove the pan from the heat, add remaining ½ cup teriyaki sauce, and toss to coat the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Assemble the tacos:
- Assemble the tacos by layering the shredded lettuce, cheese, teriyaki chicken, and remaining ½ cup pineapple chunks on the tortillas.
- Drizzle the creamy pineapple sauce over the top.