Flavor-packed, fresh, and healthy what’s not to love about chicken fajitas? See how to make chicken fajitas fast with a simple marinade and fresh ingredients!
This is what you would call a crowd-pleasing dinner and I say it fits perfectly into the #tacotuesdaycookbook series! WAIT.A.MINUTE. You haven’t heard about all the other Taco recipes in this site?
My favorite meal to order when I go out to eat at a Mexican restaurant is fajitas. And frankly, I’m not sure why I don’t make chicken fajitas more often at home since they are so easy to make!
When I first came to the United States (I was 12), I had never eaten Mexican food before. In Spain, we don’t use the same flavor and spice combinations; our cuisine is different. And, I also didn’t like the dishes I tried because I felt it was too spicy.
One day, my mom, my best friend and her dad, and I went to Sea World and at the end of the day, we were all starving. The closest thing to Sea World was a Chili’s restaurant down the street and, inevitably, we ended up there for dinner.
My mom suggested I ordered chicken fajitas for dinner and told me that they weren’t as spicy as I made them up to be in my head. When the fajitas came, I was so hungry I devoured them.
What do you know, hunger is a very powerful thing to open up the appetite for new things!
I’m pretty sure you know how the story ends, since Mexican food is now one of my favorite type of recipes to make for my family and share with you!
How to make fajitas
We don’t eat out often but when we do, it’s usually at our local Mexican joint and my order is always tacos or fajitas. Yes, I still order the same thing and who can blame me when I get a huge plate of perfectly seasoned and seared protein and veggies with warm flour tortillas, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.
But let’s get back to the recipe. Things you should know before making fajitas; don’t be intimidated and let the chicken marinate for at least 4 hours. The longer the chicken soaks in the marinade the more delicious goodness you can pack into your tortilla.
This can also be entirely prepped days in advance. That way when taco time rolls around all you need is a hot skillet and 10 minutes, dinner = done!
Ingredients for Chicken Fajitas
Boneless skinless chicken breasts, bell peppers, and white onions- simple, healthy, and fast to cook up. Isn’t that what we love about fajitas right?
How to Sautee Peppers and Onions
There’s a difference between steamed and sautéed peppers and onions. One is limp, bland and not fajita material the other is slightly charred, crispy, and full of flavor. Total fajita material.
So how does one make perfectly seared peppers and onions? With a cast iron skillet! Seriously, if you don’t have one of these but you cook often, own a copy of the Taco Tuesday Cookbook you need to get one. I’ve been having this one for years and it’s still going strong.
Chicken Fajitas Marinade
The marinade is what makes chicken fajitas, CHICKEN FAJITAS! This potion of oil, citrus juice, and taco seasoning are all you need and I like to use my homemade Arriba! seasoning. It’s my homemade version of taco seasoning and the best because:
- It tastes wayyy better than the packets
- It’s practically food crack
It takes maybe two minutes to make and I can use it in burgers or to sprinkle over veggies, meats, and fish before cooking. You’ll find it in the Taco Tuesday Cookbook.
Although this recipe calls for some marinade time, at a minimum let the chicken rest in the seasonings for about 15 minutes, no matter how much in a hurry you might be. Of course, you can prep the chicken in the marinade overnight, for extra flavor and quick prep!
Best Easy Chicken Fajita Recipe
Okay, this is the part where you make this Taco Tuesday recipe and enjoy it for yourself. Don’t forget the full recipe and details are in the Taco Tuesday Cookbook, it’s your ultimate guide to a happy and care-free life.Print
Chicken Fajitas Recipe
See how to make chicken fajitas fast with a simple marinade and fresh ingredients! Sautéed chicken, peppers and onions, it’s your favorite Text Mex dish for Taco Tuesday!
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1–½ teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1–½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1–½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1–½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- ½ medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- ½ medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and seasonings; add the chicken. Seal and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Discard marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through.
- Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. Serve with cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
Keywords: how to make fajitas, how to make chicken fajitas, making fajitas, homemade fajitas