You can’t go wrong with these chicken fajita tacos. Juicy pan-seared chicken with fajita veggies served in flour tortillas with guacamole and sour cream- one bite, and you’ll be in the center of fresh and delicious.
Today, I’m showing you how to achieve that same restaurant-grade fajita flavor in your own kitchen.
Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Making skillet chicken fajitas is just as easy as chicken tacos, but they taste like you put in a lot more work. And in this post, I’m going over everything you need to make the best fajitas, like how to get the perfect sear on your peppers and onions to the most flavorful chicken marinade.
With the right blend of spices, a good recipe, and a cast-iron skillet, you’ll master the art of perfect chicken fajitas.
If you’re a lover of all things tacos, then grab a copy of the Taco Tuesday Cookbook, it’s 52 taco recipes, enough for a year’s worth of weekly taco nights.
The Taco Tuesday Cookbook
These recipes will make every taco night the most exciting meal of your week! Eat great tacos, at home.
Grab your copy today!
Ingredients for Chicken Fajitas
Fajitas are a prime example of how healthy recipes can be both crave-worthy and easy. You can serve them in whole wheat or corn tortillas or make it a low-carb option and load everything into lettuce cups.
Here’s everything you’ll need for the best chicken fajitas:
- chicken fajita marinade (more details below)
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- fresh lime juice
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- red onion
- flour tortillas
- fajita toppings!
When it comes to bell peppers you can use any color, I am just partial to the combination of red and green bell peppers.
If you want to swap the fresh peppers and onions for a bag of frozen fajita veggies, by all means, go for it. Whatever will save you time and get this on the dinner table.
Chicken Fajitas Seasoning
Chicken fajita seasoning is very similar to my homemade version of taco seasoning. This tastes wayyy better than the packets and makes any meat or vegetable 10x better. It’s a blend of:
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- crushed red pepper flakes- just a pinch!
Chicken Fajitas Marinade
The marinade is what makes chicken fajitas, CHICKEN FAJITAS! To make it, all you need is fajita seasonings, oil, and lime juice.
For best results, let the chicken marinate in an airtight container for at least 4 hours. The longer the chicken soaks in the marinade the more delicious goodness you can pack into your tortilla. However, if you are in a hurry 15 minutes is the minimum.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
See how to make chicken fajitas fast with a simple marinade and fresh ingredients!
Easy Skillet Chicken Fajita Tacos
Ready to turn those ingredients into the best-tasting fajitas of your life? Good, let’s go:
- Marinate the chicken
In a large plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons of oil, lime juice, and seasonings; add the chicken. Seal refrigerate for 1-4 hours or overnight.
- Cook the veggies
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook until crisp-tender. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Pan sear the chicken
To the same skillet, add the chicken and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink. Return the pepper mixture to the pan and stir to combine.
- Set up
Before serving, warm the tortillas and set out the ingredients.
- Fajita-taco time!
To serve, scoop the chicken and veggie filling into the center of each tortilla. Top with cheese, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
This can also be entirely prepped days in advance by pre-slicing the veggies and marinating the chicken. Stow everything in airtight containers overnight, and the next day, all you need is a hot skillet and 10 minutes.
How to Sauté Peppers and Onions
There’s a difference between steamed and sautéed peppers and onions. One is limp, bland, and not fajita material. The other is slightly charred, golden brown, and full of flavor. Total fajita material.
So how does one make perfectly seared peppers and onions? Follow these tips below:
- Start with a HOT cast-iron skillet!
- Cook with a high-temperature oil- such as vegetable oil.
- Don’t overcrown the pan and stir often
- Don’t cover the pan, this results in steaming.
- Don’t add salt- this draws out water.
Topping Chicken Fajita Tacos
Now, I can’t conclude this post without providing a comprehensive list of ultimate fajita toppings. Of course, you can add anything you’d like to the mix, but the essentials include:
- shredded cheese
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
Chicken Fajita Tacos
See how to make chicken fajitas fast with a simple marinade and fresh ingredients! Sautéed chicken, peppers and onions, it’s your favorite Text Mex dish for Taco Tuesday!
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours + 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Mexican
For the Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
For the Fajitas:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons of oil, lime juice, and seasonings; add the chicken. Seal and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- To the same skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through.
- Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. Serve with cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
- Serving Size: 1 fajita
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 712.1 mg
- Fat: 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 30.5 g
- Cholesterol: 82.7 mg
Keywords: how to make fajitas, how to make chicken fajitas, making fajitas, homemade fajitas