There’s nothing better than turning a rotisserie chicken into epic weeknight meals and these BBQ chicken tostadas is how you demonstrate who’s the boss around the kitchen.
Mostly, because they are super simple to make, just like the other recipes inside the Taco Tuesday Cookbook, you’re gonna love this 10min meal. Check it out:
What are Tostadas
Tostadas are the crunchy, flat version of soft corn tortillas or the flat version of a crispy taco. Its round surface makes them perfect to load with toppings and they are one food you absolutely need in your life.
Traditionally tostadas are topped with beans, ground beef or another type of meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese but today, we’re doing something a little special.
Instead of the original toppings, this tostada recipe is loaded with shredded BBQ chicken, shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, and finished off with sour cream. The flavor and texture combo is out of this world and total success with my kids.
Are Tostadas Healthy?
While fried corn tortillas aren’t as low in fat as soft tortillas, tostadas are still an excellent idea for mealtime. You can include any of your favorite taco components like grilled meat, fresh veggies, cheese, salsa- it’s all about balance.
You can also make your own tostadas by baking corn tortillas coated with olive oil. Not only do they taste more authentic but it’s much easier than frying.
Take a look at what’s going into this delicious taco night recipe.
- Shredded chicken: rotisserie and poached chicken shred great!
- BBQ sauce: your favorite!
- Shredded cheese: could be Monterrey Jack, Cheddar, Mozzarella- whatever you have on hand.
- Tostadas: those super crispy, flat corn tortillas.
- Cilantro: adds a nice green sprinkle of color.
- Sour cream: a delicious contrast with the smoky-sweet BBQ flavor.
For the tostadas, you can purchase some from the grocery store or make your own with regular flour tortillas and cooking spray. I’ll show you what to do, so hang tight.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Tostadas
Time to grab those ingredients and make these crispy BBQ tostadas!
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the tostadas in an even layer onto the baking sheet.
- Chicken, Sauce, Cheese
In a large bowl, toss the chicken with 1 cup of sauce and 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake to perfection!
Distribute the mixture over each tostada, and bake until the cheese melts.
- Finish it off
Top the tostadas with the remaining cheese, a drizzle of extra BBQ sauce, cilantro, and a dab of sour cream. Time to enjoy!
Make Next: Epic Chicken Tacos
How to Serve Tostadas
Essentially, filling and serving a tostada is like making a taco but with a flat, crunchy tortilla. First, you’ll:
- Toast the tostada
- Top it- see above for topping ideas
- Eat- see below
Yes, you’ll need to toast the tostada you get from the grocery store too! Crisping them up will make them irresistible.
A note for the topping part, make sure you start with the denser ingredients like guacamole, black beans, and meat FIRST! Otherwise, nothing will stack upright, and you’ll definitely have a disaster in your lap.
How to Eat a Tostada
Accept the fact now that there is NO clean way to eat a tostada. You WILL eat it with your hands, and there’s a good chance you will wear a little of it on your face, but it’s so worth it. Just grab a napkin and carry on!
When it comes to technique, the best way to eat a tostada is with your hands. A fork and knife do not belong in this picture, and if you use either, you will be judged. Think of it like eating a piece of toast but stacked with toppings.
- Pick up tostada
- Brace yourself
- Take a bite
If you’re tostada breaks apart, be cool about it and eat the rest like nachos, it’s no less delicious.
Other Ways to Make Tostadas
If this recipe awakens your inner tostada love, which it should, I’ve got a few more ideas for you to try.
- Huevos Rancheros – swap the regular corn tortilla with tostada
- Chipotle Beet & Egg Tostadas
- Traditional Tostadas – Top it with refried beans, taco meat, lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream.
Check the Taco Tuesday Cookbook for the full recipe plus more amazing Taco Tuesday eats! What have been your favorite taco recipes so far?
BBQ Chicken Tostadas
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, divided
- 8 Baked Tostadas
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sour cream, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken with 1 cup barbecue sauce and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Place the tostadas on a rimmed baking sheet. Distribute the chicken mixture evenly over the tostadas. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Top the tostadas with the remaining 1 cup cheese, drizzle with remaining ½ cup barbecue sauce, sprinkle with cilantro, and finish with a dab of sour cream.