This effortless soup recipe is hearty and filling and one you can have ready for dinner at the end of a long, busy day.
Crockpot Baked Potato Soup
This Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup is everything you love in one bowl. There are so many meals that my family enjoys, but I have a thing for simple, hands-free recipes like this one made with kitchen staples.
Potatoes, onions, broth, cheese, bacon… everyday ingredients turn into a terrific dinner everyone loves. This is what it’s all about: real food that is good for you!
Take a look at your pantry and fridge because I know you probably have everything you need for this recipe already there. The ingredient list includes:
- Onion: makes everything tastier!
- Yellow potatoes: chopped into large chunks.
- Ham steak: adds consistency and tasty flavor.
- Vegetable broth: or any other type of broth you have.
- Pepper: for seasoning.
- Half and half: for delicious creaminess. You can swap it for whole milk.
- Shredded cheese: of course! What is potato soup without cheese?
- Bacon: more goodness in every spoonful!
- Green onions and chives: chopped to top this soup.
- Sour cream: optional for extra creaminess and flavor.
For the ingredient measurements, check the recipe card below.
How to Make Potato Soup in the Crockpot
Making this baked potato soup in the crockpot couldn’t be any easier. You literally combine everything in the crockpot and let it cook! Check out the 4 easy steps:
In the bowl of a large (5qt) slow cooker, place onion, potatoes, ham, broth, pepper.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add half and half
Once the potatoes are tender and the soup thickened, stir in the half and half, and cook for another 10 minutes.
Ladle baked potato soup into bowls, top with shredded cheese, chopped bacon, green onions, and sour cream if using.
Want to see for yourself how easy this recipe is? Check out this video:
Potato Soup with Half and Half
While many potato soup recipes call for heavy cream or milk, I like how half and half make this soup lighter and still creamy and rich in flavor with less fat and calories. If you don’t have half and half, whole milk makes a good swap.
Load It Up with Toppings
Toppings take this slow cooker baked potato soup from amazing to drool-worthy! I can’t think of anything more pleasant than sprinkling a lot of cheese and chopped bacon over this soup! Add green onions and sour cream, and you have a ridiculously tasty meal!
And that’s just one epic combo! When it comes to toppings, you can load this potato soup with whatever you crave!
What To Serve with Potato Soup
Baked potato soup is, for sure, one meal you’ll want to enjoy more than once! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can reheat it for dinner or pack it in a thermos for a terrific lunch.
Can You Freeze Potato Soup
Technically, you can freeze potato soup, but I don’t recommend it since potatoes and half and half get a mushy texture once heated after they’re frozen. However, if you don’t mind that, store your leftover soup in 1-cup servings in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pound yellow potatoes, washed, peeled, and chopped into large chunks
- 8 ounces ham steak, cubed
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) half and half or whole milk
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Sour cream, optional
- In the bowl of a large (5qt) slow cooker, place onion, potatoes, ham, broth, pepper. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once the potatoes are tender and the soup thickened, stir in the half and half, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with shredded cheese, chopped bacon, green onions, and sour cream if using.