If you love traditional chicken parmesan but don’t have the time to make it for dinner during the week, you are going to appreciate this quick and delicious slow cooker chicken parmesan recipe!
I think we can all agree on the fact that chicken parmesan is delicious. The crunchy breading on the outside coating a juicy, fried piece of chicken, is heavenly.
The issue with making chicken parmesan from scratch at home is the labor-intensive part of the recipe. There is the breading steps, the frying, and the mess associated with the recipe as a whole.
My friend, Nicole, queen of all things cooking-out-of-Pinterest suggested I tried making it in the slow cooker. She texted me the recipe she uses and bam! All the ingredients go in at the same time, you hit start, and go about your day. Instant success!
Adding the crumbly panko crumbs on top is a bonus, providing the slow cooker version that crunch we all love from the original.
If you need to make this recipe gluten-free, crush Chex rice cereal into a crumbly mixture and use that as a replacement for panko crumbs. That’s what I normally do at home so we can all enjoy this recipe as gluten free.
Speaking of the recipe, check out this quick video below and watch how it’s made. It’s a recipe your family will love, guaranteed.
Of course, there is the argument that the slow cooker version is much healthier than traditional Chicken Parmesan since it’s not fried; and it is. So there, another reason to make this recipe -as if you needed another one. Ha!
Whether you serve it with veggies on the side or over spaghetti, this is one meal idea you’ll often make, guaranteed.
What is your families favorite meal that you would like to cook in a slow cooker?
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
A slow cooker version of a classic Italian dinner.
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooked angel hair pasta, for serving (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large (6 quart) slow cooker, place half of the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic, and salt. Place chicken breasts inside the slow cooker, top with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and pour remaining crushed tomatoes on top.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook, on low for 8 hours or 4 on high.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler and line a baking sheet with foil. In a small bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread in a thin, even layer on foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until breadcrumbs are evenly golden brown.
- When chicken is cooked through, sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over top. Serve in bowls over pasta, if desired, topping the chicken with breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan cheese.
If you need to make this recipe gluten-free, crush Chex rice cereal into a crumbly mixture and use that as a replacement for panko crumbs.