If you love traditional chicken parmesan but don’t have the time to make it for dinner during the week, you are going to appreciate this quick and delicious slow cooker chicken parmesan recipe!
I think we can all agree on the fact that chicken parmesan is delicious. The crunchy breading on the outside coating a juicy, fried piece of chicken, is heavenly.
Making chicken parmesan from scratch at home can be labor-intensive. There are several steps involved like breading and frying, plus the huge mess to clean up after!
Thanks to my friend, Nicole, the queen of all things cooking-out-of-Pinterest suggested I tried making it in the slow cooker, and I’m so thankful she did. Now we can enjoy one of our favorite recipes without the mess!
Recreating popular recipes into simplified versions is something I often do in our meal plans without sacrificing nutrition or flavor. Everyone deserves to share a delicious meal with their family without spending half the night in the kitchen, and our weekly prep-ahead sheet and recipes help you do just that!
So if you’re looking for a way to maximize dinner and spend less time figuring out what to cook, check what our meal plans have to offer and see if it’s the right fit for your family.
Slow Cooker Parmesan Chicken Ingredients
It doesn’t take anything fancy to make this chicken parmesan- just a few pantry items, pasta, chicken, and cheese! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Tomatoes: canned crushed tomatoes are the base of this recipe.
- Italian seasoning: add a lot of flavors!
- Garlic cloves: or use garlic powder instead.
- Salt: for seasoning.
- Chicken breasts: boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Shredded cheese: Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Panko breadcrumbs: to make this chicken super crispy!
- Olive oil: for seasoning the breadcrumbs.
- Angel hair pasta: or your favorite pasta. Spaghetti squash also works!
- Fresh parsley: optional, to sprinkle over the chicken.
Adding the crumbly panko crumbs on top is a bonus, providing the slow cooker version that crunch we all love from the original.
How to Make Slow-Cooker Chicken Parmesan
The slow-cooker cuts down on the amount of time you’re in the kitchen while still delivering a delicious meal as you can see in the video and directions below:
- Throw Everything into the Slow-Cooker
Well, don’t throw it- just add half the crushed tomatoes followed by the Italian seasoning, garlic, and salt. Add the chicken breasts and top with the remaining sauce.
- Add the Cheese
Cover the chicken with half the Mozzarella and Parmesan. Add the remaining crushed tomatoes. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Toast the Breadcrumbs
Preheat the broiler and line a large baking sheet with foil. In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Spread in a thin layer on the baking sheet. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Boil the Pasta
10-15 minutes prior to serving, boil the pasta.
- More Cheese
Once the chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165F, add the remaining cheese.
Serve the chicken and sauce over the cooked pasta. Add a sprinkle of toasted breadcrumbs and chopped parsley. Bon appétit!
How to Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Parm
Usually, my family will have the chicken and sauce over pasta, while I enjoy it with cooked spaghetti squash for a lighter version that is low in carbs and still tastes incredible!
I love the combination of tomato sauce, cheese, and pasta- speaking of, this Slow-Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup is another hit. It’s made with similar ingredients and tastes like the real deal but in the form of soup!
Gluten-Free Crockpot Chicken Parmesan
If you need to make this recipe gluten-free, crush Chex rice cereal into a crumbly mixture and use that as a replacement for panko crumbs. That’s what I normally do at home so we can all enjoy this recipe as gluten-free.
Speaking of the recipe, check out this quick video below and watch how it’s made. It’s a recipe your family will love, guaranteed.
Of course, there is the argument that the slow cooker version is much healthier than traditional Chicken Parmesan since it’s not fried; and it is. So there, another reason to make this recipe -as if you needed another one. Ha!
Whether you serve it with veggies on the side or over spaghetti, this is one meal idea you’ll often make, guaranteed.
What is your families favorite meal that you would like to cook in a slow cooker?
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooked angel hair pasta, for serving (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large (6 quart) slow cooker, place half of the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic, and salt. Place chicken breasts inside the slow cooker, top with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and pour remaining crushed tomatoes on top.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook, on low for 8 hours or 4 on high.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler and line a baking sheet with foil. In a small bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread in a thin, even layer on foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until breadcrumbs are evenly golden brown.
- When chicken is cooked through, sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over top. Serve in bowls over pasta, if desired, topping the chicken with breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan cheese.