Make this strawberry banana oatmeal and upgrade that morning bowl of oats with that winning favorite fruit combo!
With minimal effort, you can take advantage of the benefits of oatmeal while adding delicious flavor, natural sweetness, and more vitamins.
Growing up in Spain, I never ate oatmeal. My grandmother used oats in baked goods so I didn’t learn to like oatmeal until I moved to the states as an adult in college.
It was there that I fell in love with oatmeal piled high with delicious toppings like fruit, nuts, chocolate chips or even a swirl of yogurt or jam.
Today’s recipe for Strawberry Banana Oatmeal is taking me back to my college days and bringing a smile to my face. I hope it does the same for you.
Strawberry banana oatmeal is an epic breakfast with plenty of delicious and nutritious ingredients for a wholesome meal that tastes like dessert!
Here’s what you need to make this yummy recipe come true:
- Oats: the star of the show. Rolled oats or old-fashioned oats work better for this recipe.
- Water or milk: to cook the oats. Using milk will make the oatmeal creamier and thicker.
- Bananas: sliced on top or mixed in after the oats have cooked to add sweetness without adding extra sugar!
- Strawberries: use fresh or frozen (thawed) on top of the cooked oats or mix them in once the oatmeal has cooked.
- Other toppings: walnuts or mini chocolate chips, even a dollop of vanilla Greek yogurt. All optional, of course.
How to Make Strawberry Banana Oatmeal
Enjoy this healthy and tasty strawberry banana oatmeal is as simple as cooking oats and adding your favorite toppings.
Turn plain oatmeal into spectacular oatmeal by following these simple steps:
- Cook the oats
Whether you use milk or water, the stovetop or microwave method, you’ll want to cook your oats first.
- Add the fruit
Once the oats are cooked, add half of the diced strawberries and sliced bananas and mix them with the oatmeal. You can also add them after but the fresh and warm combo is terrific!
- Toppings, optional
Divide the cooked oatmeal into 4 bowls and top each with the remaining fresh fruit.
Want to up the ante even more? Sprinkle chopped walnuts and a few mini chocolate chips, or place a tablespoon of vanilla Greek yogurt on top. The sky is the limit!
Pro tip: for best results, always measure your oats and water and avoid having to thicken oatmeal after it’s been cooked.
More Strawberry Banana Breakfast Options
Can’t get enough of this flavor combo? Me neither! Next, be sure to try my strawberry pancakes topped with banana slices or this berry banana smoothie recipe or even strawberry banana overnight oats that you can prep ahead. YUM!
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal
- 2 cups old-fashioned, rolled oats
- 4 cups milk or water
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 ½ cups strawberries, chopped
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add the oats and water or milk. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the oats are cooked and have achieved a thick consistency, turn off the heat.
- Add half of the diced strawberries and sliced bananas into the cooked oatmeal and stir.
- Divide the oatmeal mixture into 4 bowls and top with the remaining fresh fruit.