Everyone’s favorite fruit combo turned into a convenient breakfast!
Make these strawberry banana overnight oats in a couple of minutes for a delicious breakfast that will be ready for you when you wake up in the morning.
Chocolate Banana Strawberry Overnight Oats
You can incorporate chocolate into overnight oats by turning the oat base into a chocolate base or by adding chocolate tidbits into the mixture. These can be shavings of chocolate or mini chocolate chips.
This recipe uses mini chocolate chips to reel in the strawberry-banana-chocolate trifecta of flavors we all love while leaving the base intact.
While a chocolate base can be delicious, by the third of the fourth spoonful, it’s just too much chocolate for breakfast –that’s something I never thought I’d say, btw, since I’ve enjoyed a slice of my epic Double Chocolate Banana Bread for breakfast before.
Check the ingredients once and make this recipe again and again because the good news is that you don’t need fancy ingredients to make these breakfast overnight oats.
Here is what you’ll need:
- old fashioned oats: best for overnight oats since they hold their texture and don’t turn into mush.
- ground flax: adds an excellent amount of fiber and omega-3s.
- milk: the liquid needed to cold-cook the oats in the fridge overnight. Use traditional or dairy-free.
- maple syrup: optional in the recipe and can be swapped for honey.
- bananas: sliced or halved to fit in the jar or bowl.
- strawberries: fresh or frozen, diced small.
- mini chocolate chips: or chocolate shavings will work. The smaller, the better, so they fit in your spoon!
Make sure to grab the recipe measurements in the recipe card below.
How to Make Strawberry Banana Overnight Oats
Whether you make 4 individual jars (or bowls) or place all the ingredients in one big container, this is how easy it is to make this recipe:
- Make an assembly line
On a flat surface, place 4 bowls or lidded glass jars.
- Add the dry ingredients
Layer the ingredients inside the jars in the other listed or add them all to a large bowl.
- Add toppings
Top each oat mixture with banana slices, then strawberry slices, and a tablespoon of chocolate chips.
- Add the liquid
Whether you use regular or dairy-free milk for this recipe, the liquid is what “cooks” the oats in the fridge overnight.
Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat and eat
When ready to eat, serve cold or warm up for 30 seconds in the microwave.
Watch the magic happen in this video!
How Long Do Overnight Oats Last?
Overnight oats without fruit can last up to 5 days in the fridge. Overnight oats with berries have a shorter lifespan, about 2 to 3 days.
Read the full post that goes into detail on how long you should keep oats in the fridge.
To store the overnight oats properly, here are the best Containers & Mason Jars for Overnight Oats
What are Toppings Suggestions for Overnight Oats?
This overnight oats recipe is filled with the fruity and chocolatey toppings you’d typically add on top. I will admit that I often make this overnight oat base alone and top it with the strawberry-banana-chocolate combination when I serve it.
A drizzle of your favorite nut butter or shredded coconut goes great on top of this recipe, as well as one of these terrific ideas from my best pancake toppings post.
More Overnight Oats Faves
Now that you can see how simple and easy it is to make overnight oats, here are some of my other favorites that I think you’ll love.
- Creamy Peach Overnight Oats
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Apples
- Easy Overnight Oats with Yogurt
- Banana Overnight Oats
Strawberry Banana Overnight Oats
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 4 teaspoons ground flax
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- On a flat surface, place 4 bowls or lidded glass jars. Fill each with 1 teaspoon ground flax, ½ cup oats, ¾ cup milk, and ½ tablespoon maple syrup. Using a spoon, mix to combine.
- Top each oat mixture with banana slices, then strawberry slices, and a tablespoon of chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to eat, serve cold or warm up for 30 seconds in the microwave.