This recipe for blackened fish tacos is easy to make and always yields well seasoned, flaky tilapia; served with a crunchy slaw and a creamy cilantro sauce it’s going to make your taco night amazing!
Below you’ll see how to use the oven to achieve a perfect blackened crust on your tilapia fish tacos. The rest is a cinch; all you have to do is assemble and EAT.
Spicy Blackened Fish Tacos
You can turn up the heat and make these spicy blackened fish tacos by adding a pinch of additional cayenne pepper to the blackened seasoning; which is exactly what sets these fish tacos apart from traditional recipes that use the classic taco seasoning.
While most blackened fish recipes are made in the skillet, I like to take the oven route. It’s more hands-free and still gives the fish a crispy, delicious crust with tender white flaky fish.
Blackened Fish Taco Ingredients
Fish tacos are among the most simple taco recipes to make. All you need are fresh ingredients like the ones listed below:
- Tilapia: makes a great option for fish tacos. It’s easy to cook with and flakes perfectly onto the tortilla. You could also use snapper, mahi-mahi, and flounder.
- blackened seasoning: a mixture of cajun spices that coat each fish fillet and creates that blackened crust. I like using this blackened seasoning.
- shredded cabbage: every fish taco needs a crunchy, fresh slaw. You can shred the cabbage or purchase a pre-bagged coleslaw mix.
- fresh lime juice: tenderizes the cabbage.
- salt: adds flavor to the slaw.
- corn tortillas: use corn or flour tortillas, whichever your family prefers.
- cilantro lime dressing: zesty flavors of lime and cilantro in a creamy dressing. Check out my recipe for cilantro lime dressing in the recipe card below!
- cilantro: goes in the dressing and gets sprinkled over the finished tacos.
Grab more epic fish tacos like this one in my Taco Tuesday Cookbook. I created the recipes to be simple enough to prepare on busy weeknights and still bring incredible flavors to the table. Check out what’s inside:
The Taco Tuesday Cookbook
These recipes will make every taco night the most exciting meal of your week! Eat great tacos, at home.
Grab your copy today!
How to Make Blackened Fish Tacos
Making blackened fish tacos is easy. Once you have your ingredients here is what to do step-by-step:
- Get the oven hot
Preheat the oven to 425F and place a baking sheet into the oven.
- Season the fish
Generously season both sides of the tilapia fillets with the blackened seasoning.
- Grab a pair of oven mitts
Carefully remove the baking sheet from the hot oven and spray it with cooking spray. Place the fish onto the baking sheet, give them a generous spray, and bake until the fish is tender.
- Make the slaw and dressing
Toss the shredded cabbage with fresh lime juice and salt. Prepare the cilantro-lime dressing, if making your own.
Warm the tortillas and top each with slaw, pieces of blackened fish, and a drizzle of the cilantro-lime dressing. Add chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime for good measure.
You can also watch this video to see these blackened fish tacos in the making:
What Else to Serve with Spicy Blackend Fish Tacos
These spicy blackened fish tacos are served with a crunchy slaw and a creamy cilantro sauce that complement it perfectly. Outside of those two, you can serve this with fresh pineapple, whose sweetness pairs great with the blackened seasoning.
My Corn & Black Bean Salsa is hearty and super refreshing, which matches these fish tacos perfectly! You can also never go wrong with a batch of homemade salsa and tortilla chips; that’s always a given on taco night!Print