These butternut squash and chickpea tacos are the perfect vegetarian option for your next Taco Tuesday. This recipe is also a family favorite at my house because of the deep smoky flavors of Mexican inspired dishes that we all love.
But you know what’s a winner? How easy this recipe is to make. Check it out in this quick video.
How to Make Butternut Squash Tacos
Even if you don’t have a designated “meatless” meal in your weekly meal plan, these tacos are perfect for those of us who are busy, need a budget friendly meal, or are just looking for a simple recipe that will fill hungry bellies. And of course, this is one of the favorite vegetarian tacos in my Taco Tuesday Cookbook. 52 weeks of delicious tacos, just like this one? That’s what the Taco Tuesday Cookbook is all about! You’ll find lots of tasty veggie tacos too, like Southwestern Roasted Veggie Tacos and even Poblano Pepper and Mushroom Tacos with an epic Cilantro Sauce drizzled on top!
In fact, we’ll use that same cilantro-lime drizzle on today’s Butternut Squash tacos! But I’m getting ahead of myself.
Tacos with Roasted Chickpeas
To make this taco recipe you’ll need to roast some chickpeas and butternut squash. I nearly always keep a few cans of chickpeas and other beans in my pantry as meal-starters and salad toppers. They are a terrific solution to that blank stare I sometimes give my pantry shelves waiting for something to call out to me and say “make me! Make me!” Roasted chickpeas are an amazing snack on their own, but like most things, they’re even better tucked inside a taco!
Got your chickpeas? Okay, let’s move on to the butternut squash.
I know what you are going to say; you were about to tell me that you don’t always keep butternut squash in the freezer or on hand. And you know what? That’s ok! If you don’t have butternut squash handy, cube and steam some potatoes or sweet potatoes; they’ll substitute just fine in this dish.
My kids have just recently begun trying chickpeas. While nearly everyone in my household is a big fan of hummus, we still have texture issues with a few foods –and that’s ok. You can’t win at everything in the kitchen.
The familiar spices in my homemade taco seasoning make them taste amazing and that’s what made the dish a winner at my house. My taco seasoning is the closest thing to an all-purpose seasoning and it’s one that I know always goes over well with my kids.
My kids and I hope you try this recipe and love it as much as we do.
For your next Taco Tuesday fix, be sure to check out all the videos on my Youtube Channel, there’s a new taco recipe published every single week. And of course, pick up a copy of the Taco Tuesday Cookbook so you don’t have to miss a single tasty taco.
What are some of your favorite non-meat ingredients to use inside of a taco?
Butternut Squash and Chickpea Tacos
This recipe is from Laura’s Cookbook, The Taco Tuesday Cookbook.
These roasted chickpea and butternut squash tacos are the perfect meatless meal! They’re full of deep smoky flavors and great with your favorite toppings.
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Tacos
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes, thawed if using frozen
- Corn tortillas
- 1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds removed
- 1 large avocado, seed removed and diced
- Chopped cilantro
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine taco seasoning, lime juice, olive oil, and water. Add in chickpeas and squash cubes, toss to combine seasoning well.
- Transfer seasoned chickpeas and squash to lined baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally during cooking, until chickpeas are slightly crispy and squash is tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Assemble tacos by placing a bed of cabbage, top with roasted chickpeas and squash, and drizzle cilantro lime sauce on top. Serve with additional lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 429
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Sodium: 1011.1mg
- Fat: 18.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 61.4g
- Fiber: 14.8g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
Keywords: butternut squash tacos, roasted chickpeas, recipes with roasted chickpea, vegetarian tacos,