Nothing beats a flavorful pan-seared chicken breast for dinner served with crispy veggies and a filling side. Unless you up the game with one simple step and add a delicious sauce!
Check out this simple recipe that’s sure to make a normal weeknight dinner feel special.
Why I Love This Recipe
One of the best things about this recipe is that it cooks in half the time as traditional chicken breast recipes.
When you butterfly chicken breasts, you’re making them half as thick and therefore, they cook in half the time.
Another bonus? They come out perfectly seared, with golden and crispy edges on both sides, and still keep the juices in!
Simple and fresh ingredients are the basis for this pan-seared chicken recipe. You’ll need:
- Chicken breasts: the base for this recipe.
- Sage: use fresh, if possible, to bring out the incredible flavor of the chicken.
- Salt & Pepper: for seasoning
- Olive oil: to sear the chicken breasts in the pan.
- Onion: used to soak up the flavors and tidbits left in the pan after cooking the chicken, smothered in a pan sauce to serve on top.
- Chicken broth: used to make the sauce and to sear the chicken flavor tidbits left on the pan.
- Dried plums: also known as prunes, they’re added to the sauce to sweeten the dish. Recommended, not essential.
- Balsamic vinegar: adds depth and flavor to the sauce, and contrasts the sweet dried plums with an acid.
- Green beans: served on the side, optional, can be swapped for another veggie.
- Couscous or rice: suggested to complete this meal.
Below you’ll find the ingredient measurements in a printable recipe card.
If you’re always searching for delicious ways to cook chicken, the search is over! Check out this chicken recipe eBook!
THE Only Chicken Cookbook You’ll Need
The 70+ recipes inside Chicken. It’s What’s For Dinner will make everyone’s favorite white meat more exciting to eat!
Whether you’re just learning to cook or know your way around the kitchen, the recipes inside the eBook are simple and delicious.
How to Sear Chicken Breasts with Prunes & Sage
Making these seared chicken breasts with sauce is a breeze. Once you’ve got your ingredients, here is what you’ll need to do:
- Prep the chicken breasts
On a flat surface, butterfly the chicken breasts and season them with salt and pepper.
- Get searing
In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat up 2 teaspoons of oil. Add chicken to the pan and cook, for about 4 minutes on the first side, flip, and cook for an additional 3 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and is cooked to 165F. Remove chicken from the pan onto a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Make the sauce
Heat up the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in the pan and add onions. Cook stirring often, until they are soft and golden, for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in broth, bring to a boil and scrape the chicken tidbits from the pan.
Add plums, sage, and balsamic vinegar. Cook for an additional 4 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- Time to eat!
Plate the chicken breasts topped with onions, a spoon of the sage sauce on top.
Want to see how this recipe is made? Check out this quick video.