Think cabbage is just for coleslaw? Think again! This easy recipe for sautéed cabbage shows you how to turn this simple veggie into a delicious caramelized simple side dish.
Sautéeing cabbage adds a special flavor and texture you can’t achieve with steaming. It’s similar to roasted cabbage but MUCH faster and just as easy.
This is one simple side dish recipe you’ll make again and again.
Easy Sautéed Cabbage Side Dish
Sautéed cabbage turns an ordinary vegetable into a flavorful side dish that’s quick to prepare and can easily feed a crowd.
In less than 10 minutes, you can transform a head of cabbage into an impressive and healthy side. And if you don’t want to chop it, buy bagged slaw mix and cook it up.
One serving of this sautéed cabbage recipe is only 120 calories, 4.5g of protein, 3g of fat, and has 6 grams of fiber. While each 100g contains 25 calories, this is a generous serving that won’t leave you hungry!
It’s one of the easiest ways to eat a generous amount of veggies that provide a lot of fiber necessary for our digestive health.
Sautéed Cabbage with Vinegar
To make great cabbage, you need a secret ingredient: vinegar! A dash of vinegar enhances the cabbage’s flavor in a way that reduces the need for added fats, like butter. You don’t need much either, just ½ tablespoon.
As far as the type of vinegar to use when cooking cabbage, I like white wine and rice vinegar, but you could also use apple cider vinegar.
How to Sauté Cabbage
Here is where we make perfectly sautéed cabbage. You’ll know the cabbage is just right when you see tender bits of browned cabbage scattered throughout the pan. Let’s make it happen!
- Brown some garlic
Heat some oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute before adding the cabbage. Cook until it softens.
- Add more flavor
Season the wilted cabbage with salt and black pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes before adding the vinegar. Toss to combine and cook for another minute.
- Bon appétit!
Remove from heat and serve up!
I’ve also turned this addictive veggie dish into a quick video you can cook along to:
How to Cut up Cabbage for Sautéing
or the best-sautéed cabbage results, cut it into thin shreds. Larger cabbage pieces take longer to cook, but thinner pieces cook quickly and evenly.
Below, is a quick, step-by-step direction to cut cabbage:
- Place the cabbage on a sturdy surface- a cutting board is perfect.
- Use a sharp knife to cut off the stem. A dull knife can make this more difficult and increases the risk of an injury.
- Cut the head of cabbage in half and once again, into quarters.
- Finally, chop each quarter into thin and even slices.
Watch how easy it is to cut cabbage in this quick video:
You can also shred cabbage in a food processor using a shredding attachment. Make sure to quarter the head of cabbage before feeding it into the shoot.
Sautéed Cabbage Variations
Cabbage easily takes on the flavors of other ingredients and sauces added during cooking. Below are a few variations to turn sautéed cabbage into a regular mealtime staple.
- sautéed cabbage with bacon: before cooking the cabbage, brown the bacon in the skillet, remove it from heat, and chop. Cook the cabbage in the bacon drippings (yum!) and add the chopped bacon along with the vinegar.
- sautéed cabbage and onions: cook 1 small sliced onion along with the cabbage.
- stir-fried cabbage: mix 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon honey in a small bowl. Add the sauce in the final 5 minutes of cooking.
- sautéed cabbage with sausage: brown 12-ounces sliced, smoked sausage, remove it from the skillet, and set aside. Add the sausage back to the skillet along with the vinegar, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
What Does Sautéed Cabbage Pair Well With?
Cabbage goes with your favorite chicken recipes, pork, shrimp, and just about anything! Since it’s a side dish, most people prefer to pair it with roasted meat and other sides such as cooked rice or potatoes.
Simple Sautéed Cabbage
This easy recipe for sauteed cabbage shows you how to turn this simple veggie into a delicious caramelized simple side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stovetop
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and brown for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper and toss with tongs.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and cooked down. Add the vinegar, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 121
- Sugar: 10.9 g
- Sodium: 658.3 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg