Pizza night just got a fun makeover with these easy homemade pizza pockets, or calzones, that you can make from scratch with the kids!
My family, like most families, enjoys pizza night at home on a regular basis. We love getting in the kitchen together and creating our own customized, individual pizzas made to order for each person. And of course, I love any recipe that brings the kids in the kitchen with me to cook together.
Like in this video, where Sofia and I show you how to make these deliciously cheesy pizza pockets with our friends from Borden® Cheese.
I bet you didn’t expect us to make broccoli and cheese pizza pockets, did you? Well, it turns out, that the broccoli and cheese combination is also a winner when it comes to being stuffed inside a pizza pocket. Borden® Cheese offers the perfect creamy addition to any cheesy recipe.
Wait, did I mention we love cheese? It’s probably no surprise to you, if you’ve followed my recipes for a while that recipes like our cheesy Taco Skillet and Skillet Lasagnas are not only fan favorites but also our family’s.
My boys, though, love the classic pepperoni and Mozzarella combination, so of course, I always keep those ingredients on hand. Dad and I usually stuff our pizza pockets with leftovers from the week that might include roasted chicken and veggies. The great thing about these pizza pockets is that the “toppings” bake right in and the flavors marry as the cheese melts within.
While I usually make my own pizza dough, the recipe can easily be made with store bought pizza dough. Whatever gets you in the kitchen with the kids and helps you bake some love right in!
What are your favorite pizza toppings that you’d use to stuff these homemade calzones with?Print
Easy Homemade Pizza Pockets or Calzones
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
For the classic pizza calzone:
- 1 refrigerated classic pizza crust
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup Borden Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2oz pepperoni slices
- 4oz can sliced black olives, drained
For the broccoli & cheddar cheese pizza calzone:
- 1 refrigerated classic pizza crust
- ¾ cup Borden Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ cup Borden Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped broccoli, (12oz frozen bag, thawed)
- Preheat oven to 375F with the oven racks positioned in the middle sections of the oven. Grease two baking sheets or, line them with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide each pizza dough in half. Roll out each pizza dough into rounds (4). Transfer 2 dough rounds onto each baking sheet.
- For the classic pizza calzones, spread pizza sauce on half of each dough circle, top with Borden Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, top with pepperoni slices and black olives. Fold the topping-free half of the dough over the other side to cover all toppings. Lightly crimp dough ends with your hands or a fork to seal the edges. Using a knife, poke a few holes over the tops of the dough to let the steam escape.
- For the broccoli and cheddar calzones, drizzle olive oil or spread olive oil with your hands over the entire dough circles and sprinkle Italian seasoning throughout.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chopped broccoli with the Cheddar and Mozzarella cheeses.
- Transfer broccoli and cheese mixture onto one half of each pizza round, making sure it’s evenly distributed. Fold the topping-free half of the dough over the other side to cover all toppings. Lightly crimp dough ends with your hands or a fork to seal the edges. Using a knife, poke a few holes over the top of the dough to let the steam escape.
- Bake, 25-30 minutes, swapping the baking sheets half way through, until the crusts are golden brown. Remove from oven, allow calzones to cool down slightly prior to slicing and serving.