March 9, 2022
This Greek yogurt banana bread is the best banana bread you’ll ever make! It’s super moist with soft, buttery-like crumbs and the perfect balance of banana-bread flavor you crave.
There’s no better way to use those super ripe bananas on your counter than to make a loaf of banana bread. Plus, you can customize this recipe and add your favorite mix-ins like chopped walnuts or dark chocolate chips.
Each slice contains 240 calories; making it the perfect afternoon snack or an easy, make-ahead breakfast to enjoy with your morning coffee!
Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt
This recipe will be your new staple for perfect banana bread. Greek yogurt adds moisture and balances the sweetness of sugar and bananas to give your tastebuds a slice of heaven.
I like to use plain, unsweetened plain Greek yogurt, but you could also use traditional yogurt, sour cream, or vanilla-flavored yogurt. Any of these options add creaminess and contain the natural acids that react with baking soda to provide this bread lift and texture.
What Does Greek Yogurt do to Banana Bread
Adding Greek yogurt to a banana bread recipe will add incredible moisture, reduce the total fat in the recipe, and react with the baking soda to give it a light texture with soft crumbs. By the way, Greek Yogurt Pancakes are another breakfast option to use this high protein ingredient first thing in the morning. They’re fluffy & delicious, just like this bread!
Greek Yogurt Banana Bread Ingredients
Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need from the pantry and fridge to make this Greek yogurt banana bread:
- over-ripe bananas: try using bananas with dark peels and lots of spots. They are sweeter and easier to mash.
- Greek yogurt: adds moisture and makes the bread super light.
- butter: adds delicious flavor and makes the bread moist.
- white sugar: thanks to super ripe bananas, we don’t need as much sugar. You could also use brown sugar.
- eggs: needed to bind the ingredients.
- vanilla extract: goes great with the banana flavor.
- all-purpose flour: essential for volume, or you can make this gluten-free banana bread by using 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- baking soda: reacts with the acids in the Greek yogurt and helps the batter rise.
- salt: enhances the flavors of banana, sugar, butter, and vanilla extract.
What if I don’t have ripe bananas?
If you don’t have overripe bananas but have a couple of frozen bananas in the freezer, you can use those to make this banana bread.
Once they’re thawed, mash them with a fork and stir into the rest of the wet ingredients. Easy peasy.
How to Bake Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt
Banana bread is easy to make; mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and bake to perfection! Here’s exactly what to do for perfect banana bread:
- Preheat the oven to 350F
Grease a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas
In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the Greek yogurt, melted butter, eggs, and whisk until smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla stir to combine.
- Sift the dry ingredients
Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate large bowl.
- Make the batter
Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Bake to perfection!
Bake the banana bread for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Let it rest
Remove the banana bread from the oven and cool 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
A little trick to keep in mind if your loaf is browning too quickly in the oven is to cover it with a piece of tin foil. It will prevent the top from drying out and turning dark brown.
See this super-moist banana bread come together FAST in this 30-second video.
More Breakfast Bread Ideas
This banana bread and other quick-bread recipes make a delicious and simple breakfast idea you can make ahead and enjoy all week long. Once you try this Greek yogurt banana bread, give one of these other breakfast bread recipes a test. You won’t be disappointed.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Blueberry Oat Bread
- Applesauce Bread
- Easy Peach Bread
Easy Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
- 2 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt*
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F, grease a loaf pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the Greek yogurt, melted butter, and eggs. Whisk to combine. Add the sugar and vanilla, and mix.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. *If the top of the loaf is getting too brown, cover it with a piece of tin foil and continue to bake.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and allow it to cool down for 15 minutes prior to removing it from the pan and slicing.