Chocolate chip banana bread made with ripe bananas and Greek yogurt is super moist, cake-like and the melted bits of chocolate in every bite make it an irresistible treat you’ll want to make at least once a week.
It’s a recipe that my family loves and so easy to whip up!
The Best Banana Bread Recipe with Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread has everything we love about classic banana bread with the addition of two very important ingredients: Greek yogurt and chocolate chips.
The yogurt makes this banana bread moist, while the chocolate chips do what they do best and add lots of rich chocolatey goodness! A slice of this banana bread, while still warm, is pure bliss.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Ingredients
Along with the ripe bananas and sugar, the chocolate chips add the right amount of sweetness without overpowering the bread.
Typically, most banana bread recipes contain ¾ to 1 cup of sugar, but with the chocolate chips, I find it turns out best when reduced to ½ cup.
Of course, if you want to keep things on the light side, you could cut the number of chocolate chips in half or omit them altogether. It still makes a killer loaf of banana bread.
- over-ripe bananas: the riper the bananas, the sweeter and more flavorful the bread!
- Greek yogurt: makes the bread super moist and cuts down the amount of butter needed.
- butter: for flavor and a soft texture.
- white sugar: just enough to sweeten. You could swap for brown sugar.
- eggs: add structure and help the batter rise.
- vanilla extract: the flavor goes perfect with banana.
- all-purpose flour: this recipe uses regular flour, but you could swap it for a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- baking soda: a leavening agent to help the batter rise and make the bread light.
- salt: enhances the other flavors and brings out the sweetness in the bananas and chocolate.
- semi-sweet chocolate chips: because who can resist delicious chocolate bits in freshly baked banana bread?
How to Make Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
Aright grab those ingredients, and let’s make this chocolatey banana bread recipe!
- Preheat the oven to 350F
Grease a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Mix the wet ingredients
Mash the bananas with a large fork or potato masher in a large bowl. Add the Greek yogurt, melted butter, eggs, and whisk until smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla, stir to combine.
- Sift the dry ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate large bowl.
- Make the batter
Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold ¾ cup of chocolate chips into the batter.
- Add more chocolate
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- In the oven it goes!
Bake for 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. *If the top of your loaf is getting too brown, cover with a foil tent.
- Let it cool off
Remove the banana bread from the oven and cool 15 minutes before serving.
If reading about this easy recipe isn’t good enough, check out how easy it is to make:
Baking tips for Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Follow the recipe above and these tips below to make the best banana bread, every time!
How to keep chocolate chip banana bread moist
Greek yogurt has an acidic nature that makes baked goods light and moist.
How to cook chocolate chip banana bread all the way through
With the excess moisture from ripe bananas and Greek yogurt, banana bread needs to be baked for 50 minutes to an hour. If the top of the banana bread is beginning to brown too quickly, cover the surface with a piece of tin foil and continue to bake.
Some ovens run hotter than others, so I highly advise checking the loaf with a long wooden skewer or knife near the 50-minute mark. If it comes out clean, remove it from the oven, but if not, you’ll need another 8 to 10 minutes.
Start with room temperature ingredients
Make sure to have all ingredients at room temperature, including eggs, butter, and yogurt. I often freeze leftover bananas for smoothies and baking, so make sure those are defrosted and room temp too.
How to Store Banana Bread
After everyone’s enjoyed a slice or two, you’ll want to store any leftovers in an airtight container or tightly wrapped with plastic wrap for up to 3 to 5 days. You can keep it on the countertop, fridge, or hidden away from any prowling snackers.
Can you freeze Chocolate Chip Banana Bread?
I always freeze leftover banana bread or banana muffins for a quick treat. Allow the bread to cool down to room temperature before slicing it into thick slices and wrapping tightly with plastic wrap. Place the pieces into a freezer-safe zip bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
In the meantime, whenever you need a pick me up, remove a slice from the freezer and defrost on the counter. Pro tip- warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds before enjoying.
If you’d like to freeze a whole loaf, follow the directions above but omit the slicing step.
Other Recipes Using Bananas
I have to admit, we consume more bananas by way of delicious and mostly healthy baked goods than the actual fruit. What can I say, they’re hard to resist! Try out a few of our favorite recipes for yourself!
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Banana Overnight Oats
- Banana Pancakes
- 2 Ingredient Banana Cookies
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding
But first, go make Chocolate Chip Banana bread then come back and let me know what you think! I’ll be over here with coffee and bread in hand.Print
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Cake-like, super moist, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread made with Greek yogurt & loaded with chocolate chips. One bite and you’ll never go back to traditional.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Dessert
- 2 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup butter, (equivalent to 1 stick of butter) melted
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the Greek yogurt, melted butter, and eggs. Whisk to combine. Add the sugar and vanilla, and mix.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Stir ¾ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake, for 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top of your loaf is getting too brown, cover with a foil tent.
- Remove loaf from the oven and allow it to cool down for 15 minutes prior to removing it from the pan and slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 328
- Sugar: 26.4g
- Sodium: 263.2mg
- Fat: 17.5g
- Saturated Fat: 10.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 63.5mg
Keywords: chocolate chip banana bread, banana bread recipe,