Chocolate Chip Banana bread is one of my go-to treat recipes my family loves. I love this recipe because it’s moist and cake-like and not overpowered by bananas.
It’s also made with Greek yogurt and loaded with chocolate chips, there are just some things no one can resist and this banana bread is one of them!
If reading about this easy recipe isn’t good enough, check out how easy it is to make:
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Ingredients
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread has everything we love about classic banana bread with the addition of two very important ingredients: greek yogurt and chocolate chips.
Greek yogurt makes this banana bread nice and moist while the chocolate chips do what they do best, and add lots of rich chocolatey goodness!
Make sure to have all ingredients at room temperature, including eggs, butter, and yogurt. I often freeze leftover bananas for smoothies and baking, so make sure those are defrosted and room temp too.
The Best Chocolate Chips for Baking
Always, always, always semi-sweet chocolate chips! Along with the ripe bananas and sugar, the chocolate chips add the right amount of sweetness without overpowering the bread.
Typically, most banana bread recipes contain 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar, but with the chocolate chips, I find it turns out best when reduced to 1/2 cup.
Of course, if you want to keep things on the light side you could cut the number of chocolate chips in half or omit them altogether, it still makes a killer loaf of banana bread but if you can, make them with the chocolate chips. You’re worth it.
How to Keep Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Moist
Similar to buttermilk, Greek yogurt has an acidic nature that keeps muffins, pancakes, and quick breads light and fluffy!
Plus, by using yogurt in this recipe we’re adding extra protein and reducing the amount of fat while keeping this delicious baked good super moist and giving us a little less guilt!
How to Cook Chocolate Chip Banana Bread All the Way Through
With the excess moisture from ripe bananas and Greek yogurt, banana bread needs to bake at least 50 – 60 minutes. This may seem a long time but trust me, otherwise, you’ll get an eggy slice of bread. If you see that your banana bread is beginning to brown to quickly, cover the surface with a piece of tin foil and continue to bake.
Some ovens run hotter than others so I highly advise checking the loaf with a long wooden skewer or knife near the 50-minute mark. If it comes out clean, remove it from the oven, but if not, you’ll need another 8 to 10 minutes.
How to Store Banana Bread
After everyone’s enjoyed a slice or two, you’ll want to store any leftovers in an airtight container or tightly wrapped with plastic wrap for up to 3 to 5 days. You can keep it on the countertop, fridge, or hidden away from any prowling snackers.
Can you freeze Chocolate Chip Banana Bread?
I always freeze leftover banana bread or banana muffins for a quick treat. Allow the bread to cool down to room temperature before slicing into thick slices and wrapping tightly with plastic wrap. Place the slices into a freezer safe zip bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
In the meantime, whenever you need a pick me up, remove from the freezer and defrost on the counter before enjoying.
If you’d like to freeze a whole loaf, follow the directions above but omit the slicing step.
Other Recipes Using Bananas
I have to admit, we consume more bananas by way of delicious and mostly healthy baked goods or breakfasts than the actual fruit. What can I say, they’re hard to resist! Try out a few of our favorite recipes for yourself!
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Banana Overnight Oats
- Banana Pancakes
- 2 Ingredient Banana Cookies
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding
But first, go make Chocolate Chip Banana bread then come back and let me know what you think! I’ll be over here with coffee and bread in hand.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Cake-like, super moist, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread made with Greek yogurt & loaded with chocolate chips. One bite and you’ll never go back to traditional.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup butter, (equivalent to 1 stick of butter) melted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the Greek yogurt, melted butter, and eggs. Whisk to combine. Add the sugar and vanilla, and mix.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Stir 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake, for 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top of your loaf is getting too brown, cover with a foil tent.
- Remove loaf from the oven and allow it to cool down for 15 minutes prior to removing it from the pan and slicing.
Keywords: chocolate chip banana bread, banana bread recipe,