I love a great soup recipe, but what I love most is a great soup recipe that I can make rather quickly and feeds my little army. Today’s Mexican Vegetable Bean Soup recipe is filling, full of hearty flavors and aromas. It’s also super easy to make meaning it is the perfect dinner idea for tonight.
I know you’ll appreciate is the simple ingredients and steps to make this hearty soup.
If you’re trying to make more recipes at home using what you already have on hand, check out the Pantry Staples Meal Plan.
Inside the meal plan, you’ll find 2 weeks of delicious family meals made with simple, easy to find ingredients. This means you can go to the store a lot less, save money and still eat the food your family loves. More info here!
Most Mondays, I make recipes that are either quick or go in the slow cooker. I need all the help I can get in the kitchen since my Monday mornings start at 4:40 am.
By the time 5:30 pm comes around, I’m feeling slightly jet-lagged -and not from flying back from Spain. You know, that tired feeling where your eyes get a little droopy and then the thought “is it bedtime yet?” passes your mind. So, to get through dinner time without any hiccups, I try to plan meals that are easy to prep and make.
Vegetable Soup Ingredients
Something I try to do to save prep time with this recipe is to chop all the veggies ahead of time, up to 4 days ahead of time and keep them in the fridge. To save even more time, I chop all the veggies in my food processor.
Years ago, when my kids refused to eat a “lumpy soup” I’d blend this in the blender for a smooth consistency. I still have to do that for one of my kids since he still has severe texture issues. However, that’s one easy step I can do that only takes a few seconds.
Vegetable soup recipes are pretty versatile, you can really work with what you have on hand, but here’s what I’m putting in our soup:
- Green Pepper
- Black Beans
- Vegetable Broth
- Dried Oregano
- Ground Cumin
- Chili Powder
- Olive Oil
Just looking at that list of ingredients is making my mouth water, what about you?
My favorite part of this recipe, other than eating it, is how great my kitchen smells while it’s cooking on the stove. It has a similar aroma to my All Meat and Veggie Chili recipe except it’s a lot soupier, and this one is vegetarian.
You know what else is great about this recipe? It freezes great, and you can throw everything in a slow cooker (except the rice) and cook it for 4 hours on high or 8 on low heat.
What are some of your favorite soup recipes?
After you try this one, be sure you check out my other popular soup recipes!
- Chicken Stew
- Vegetarian Minestrone
- Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Easy Tortellini Soup
Mexican Bean and Vegetable Soup
With mild, robust flavors, this soup is perfect for a cold day. Originally published in my cookbook, The Best Homemade Kid’s Lunches on the Planet.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 – 55 minutes
- Total Time: 50-65 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (130 g) carrots, coarsely diced
- ½ cup (75 g) green pepper, diced
- ½ cup (80 g) onion, diced
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped
- 2 cloves (6 g) garlic, minced
- 1 14 ounce can (396) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can (400 g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (940 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon (1.8 g) dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons (14 g) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (2.6 g) chili powder
- ½ cup (95 g) uncooked rice
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add in carrots, bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and garlic. Sauté until just tender, and add in the cumin, oregano and chili powder. Stir and cook for a minute until spices are fragrant.
- Pour in the tomatoes, broth, beans and water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and simmer for an additional 20 minutes (35 if you use brown rice). Garnish with cilantro to serve.
- For the slow cooker: Throw all ingredients except the rice and cilantro (for garnish) in a slow cooker and cook, 4 hours on high or 8 on low. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add white rice (45-50 for brown rice) and cook until rice is done. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Sodium: 496.4mg
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 42.8g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg