Try this Mexican Vegetable Soup for a delicious and satisfying meal! It’s full of fresh veggies and hearty beans in a taco-seasoned broth that you’ll want to drink.
While developing dinner ideas that I knew my family would enjoy, I discovered this simple recipe. It’s a hit with the kids, and I know you will love how easy it comes together with basic pantry staples.
Easy Mexican Soup with Vegetables
This Mexican vegetable soup is super hearty and filled with a mouthwatering aroma from the chili powder, garlic, oregano, cumin. The vegetables and rice soak up all those delicious flavors in the broth, so every bite gets better!
To cut down on cook time, chop all the veggies and store them in an airtight container for up to 4 days. This way, all the ingredients are ready to cook on that busy weeknight.
Mexican Vegetable Soup Ingredients
Vegetable soups are so versatile, and this recipe is made with the simplest ingredients! I bet you already have everything you need to make it.
- olive oil: to cook the veggies.
- carrots: a fantastic source of vitamin A.
- green bell pepper: or any color of bell pepper!
- onion: adds delicious aroma and flavor to the soup.
- zucchini: absorbs all the spices and herbs from the broth. If you can’t get enough of these veggies, try my Black Bean and Zucchini Soup next!
- garlic: like the onion, browned garlic adds great flavor.
- diced tomatoes: for the tomato broth.
- black beans: adds protein and fiber. You could also use any variety of canned beans.
- vegetable broth: to thin out the broth. If you aren’t vegetarian, you can swap it for chicken or beef broth.
- water: to stretch the broth.
- spices & herbs: for this recipe we use oregano, chili powder, and cumin.
- rice: soaks up the broth and makes this soup so hearty.
- fresh cilantro: optional, but fresh cilantro makes each bite even better!
As you can see from the list, this is a meatless recipe and one the entire family will love! And if you’re trying to make more meatless recipes at home using what you already have on hand, check out my meatless meal plan.
It has 4 weeks of family dinner recipes made with simple, easy-to-find ingredients. It’s designed for non-vegetarian families that want to enjoy more plant-rich meals and still eat like kings.
How to Make Mexican Vegetable Soup with Beans
Grab your Dutch oven or large soup pot, and let’s make soup!
- Sauté the veggies
Sauté the carrots, bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
- Sprinkle on the spice
Add the cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Stir to combine and cook until the spices are fragrant.
Pour in the diced tomatoes, broth, beans, and water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the rice
Stir in the rice and simmer under it’s tender, and the soup is slightly thickened.
- Dinner is ready
Serve in bowls topped with chopped cilantro.
And for those of you who love to watch how a recipe is made, check out the video for this Mexican Bean & Vegetable Soup:
You’ll also find directions in the recipe card below on how to prepare this soup in the slow cooker. That way, dinner will practically cook itself!
How to Serve Mexican Vegetable Soup
You can serve this Mexican vegetable soup just like you would taco soup, with toppings like sour cream, cheese, green onions, and fresh cilantro! If you’re looking for a side, try dipping a cheesy quesadilla into the soup- the tortilla soaks up all the flavor, and it’s a hit with the kids.
After you try this one, be sure you check out my other popular soup recipes!
- Chicken Stew
- Vegetarian Minestrone
- Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Easy Tortellini Soup
Mexican Vegetable Soup with Beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely diced
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 14- ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 14- ounce can black beans, rained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- Cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and garlic, sauté until slightly tender.
- Add the cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Stir and cook for an additional minute or until the spices are fragrant.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, broth, beans, and water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and simmer for an additional 20 minutes (35 minutes if using brown rice).
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with fresh cilantro.
- For the slow cooker: Throw all ingredients except the rice and cilantro (for garnish) in a slow cooker and cook, 4 hours on high or 8 on low. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add white rice (45-50 for brown rice) and cook until rice is done. Garnish with cilantro.