If you are a fan of the classic PB&J sandwich combination, you are going to love today’s treat idea! These Peanut Butter & Jelly Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches are delicious bite-sized treats that are simple to make and fun to eat!
DIY Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches
Making mini ice cream sandwiches at home is easy. Simply use your favorite cookie, an ice cream flavor you love, and some toppings or jellys.
For this recipe, I’m using creamy strawberry ice cream as the base and loading it up with the classic strawberry jam and peanut butter combination. Alllll that sandwiched between 2 buttery vanilla wafers.
The cold, creamy, salty, and sweet combination makes this treat EPIC! Of course, you could make these with any cookie, but the vanilla wafers keep this treat mini-sized and taste even better when frozen!
Mini Ice Cream Sandwich Ingredients
Mini ice cream sandwiches are made with pantry staples and everyday snacks like:
- vanilla wafer cookies: lightly sweet and perfectly sized for a mini ice cream sandwich.
- smooth peanut butter: use any peanut butter or a nut-free alternative such as soy butter.
- strawberry preserves: could be any flavor of preserves or jelly!
- strawberry ice cream: the MVP of this treat! Use strawberry, vanilla, or your favorite flavor.
If you love this recipe, check out my other mini ice cream sandwich recipe. It’s made with shortbread cookies and dipped in chocolate- another perfect frozen treat to make at home.
How to Make Small Ice Cream Sandwiches at Home
Assembling these ice cream sandwiches makes a great activity for kids. Just set out the ingredients, follow the step-by-step directions below, and enjoy!
- Add a layer of peanut butter & jelly
Spread a teaspoon amount of peanut butter onto the flat side of each cookie. Top half the cookies with about ¼ teaspoon of preserves.
- Top with ice cream
Use a small ice cream scoop or teaspoon to place a small amount of ice cream onto the jelly-topped cookies.
- Assemble and freeze
Top the ice cream with the remaining peanut butter cookies and gently push down. Place the sandwiches onto a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
The hardest part is trying not to eat one or two of these bite-size treats while assembling.
You can enjoy them straight from the freezer and keep extras in a freezer bag for a week. Before you head to the kitchen, watch this quick video on how to make these mini ice cream sammiches:
PB&J Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 28 vanilla wafer cookies
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2-3 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- ½ cup strawberry ice cream
- Spread ½ teaspoon of peanut butter onto the flat side of each cookie, just enough to cover the entire surface area.
- Place about ¼ teaspoon onto half of the cookies.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop or teaspoon to scoop a small amount of ice cream onto the jelly-topped ice cream cookies. Top the ice cream with peanut butter cookies and gently press down.
- Place the ice cream sandwiches onto a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes or until firm. Freeze extra sandwiches in a freezer-safe zip bag for up to a week.