If you’re looking for a hearty and delicious meatless burger, this Portobello Mushroom Burger is the perfect way to create a vegetarian burger recipe at home.
The portobello mushrooms replace the meat perfectly since they have a texture and flavor, when seasoned, that rivals any burger recipe out there.
Once you introduce this simple mushroom burger into your grilling plans, it will become a favorite fast!
This healthy meatless burger recipe is great to add to a Party Platter or tailgating menu as well. Use this burger recipe to make a feast for your family and friends, a fun twist on tailgating recipes, or a perfect grilling option for a weekend at home.
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
The flavor and texture of Portobello mushrooms create a look and taste of how a real hamburger or cheeseburger would be. Not only are you making a healthier hamburger option, but you’re creating a truly delicious one as well.
If you’re a fan of mushrooms on burgers as a topping, these mushroom burgers become the star of the show.
Why not use these mushroom burgers as a way to think outside the burger box? Pile your favorite toppings on high and get ready to enjoy a feast.
Portobello Mushroom Burger Ingredients
Here’s everything that you need to make these delicious mushroom burgers:
- portobello mushroom caps: cleaned and prepped.
- olive oil: to add to the caps of the mushrooms. You could also use coconut oil.
- salt: essential for flavor.
- black bean & corn salsa: perfect topping for this burger and add flavor.
- avocado: excellent superfood for a creamy texture.
- lettuce: for the added crunchy texture.
- whole-grain buns: the perfect “holder” for your cooked mushrooms.
- avocado ranch: a creamy sauce that ties all the ingredients together perfectly.
Speaking of amazing burgers, you should also make this Healthy Turkey Burgers Recipe as well.
How to Grill Portobello Mushrooms for Burgers
This is one of my favorite burger recipes for the summer because it’s an excellent balance of light and delicious paired with hearty flavor.
- Make the homemade ranch
Add the ranch ingredients into the blender and mix well. Put in a container and let chill in the fridge.
- Heat up the grill
Preheat the grill to 350 degrees.
- Prep the mushrooms
Brush the tops of the mushrooms with olive oil and add salt to all sides.
Put the mushrooms on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove and add toppings. Enjoy.
Grill this tender mushroom burger recipe with me using this quick recipe video.
What to put on a Mushroom Burger
This is where everyone can make their burgers taste unique. Add toppings like lettuce, cheese, pickles, tomatoes, onions, and more. You can literally add anything to your burger that you want!
Have a lot of topping options to change it up. This is a simple way to make this mushroom burger recipe unique and new every single time.
What to Serve with Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Every good burger recipe needs some delicious sides. Here are a few you might want to try with these portobello mushroom burgers:
- Parmesan Green Bean Fries
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Carrot fries
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Grilled Veggie Kabobs
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Preheat charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat (about 350-375F).
- On a flat surface, brush Portobello mushroom caps with olive oil and sprinkle with salt on both sides.
- Grill, for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from grill and assemble the burger, spreading Avocado ranch on both the bottom and top buns, layering lettuce, grilled Portobello, avocado slices, black bean salsa, and additional avocado ranch dressing if desired.