In case you haven’t heard, savory oatmeal with a fried egg is the thing to make for brunch or breakfast-for-dinner.
Want to up the ante? Top it with crispy bacon pieces and turn this into a meal everyone will love.
What I can appreciate about this recipe is that it comes together fast, making it a great midweek meal option.
I’m totally serious when I tell you that oats are the “new” thing to use as a base for a bowl of wonderful food. While the oats cook, I prepare the bacon and eggs, and in just minutes you have dinner on the table.
Bacon & Egg Savory Oatmeal
If the creamy texture of the oats wasn’t enough, add a runny egg yolk and a little crispy bacon, and you’ve got one incredible breakfast-for-dinner option.
With this recipe, you’ll see why a fried egg is one of the best toppings for savory oats!
The best part about savory oatmeal is that it pairs great with everything, even the simplest ingredients like:
- Old-fashioned oats: the larger flakes are perfect for savory oatmeal to make a sturdier base for your favorite toppings. Quick cooking oats work too.
- Water: used to cook the oats.
- Salt & pepper: for seasoning the oatmeal.
- Shredded Cheddar cheese: melted, cooked into the oats, for a cheesy and irresistible texture.
- Bacon: pork or turkey, choose your favorite and cook it crispy!
- Eggs: sunny side up or over easy, are great!
- Chives: not essential but just like a loaded baked potato, they finish off for garnish!
How to Make Savory Oats with Egg
If you can make oatmeal, you can make savory oats for dinner or brunch. Here is what you’ll need to do:
- Cook the bacon
In a large pot over medium-low heat, brown the bacon for 7 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the pot and set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Cook the Oats
To the bacon drippings, add oats and cook for 30 seconds to toast. Add the water and bring it to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and allow to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until the oats reach a thick consistency, season with salt and pepper.
- Make it cheesy
Add half the cheese and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid.
- Cook the eggs
Sunny side up, over easy, cook the eggs to your liking.
Once the oatmeal is cooked, serve it in a bowl, and top with remaining shredded cheese, an egg, bacon bits, and chopped chives if using.
More Toppings for Savory Egg Oatmeal
Savory oatmeal is the perfect base for a fried egg, bacon, and many other incredible ingredients! Try topping your savory oats with:
More Savory Oatmeal Recipes with Egg
Love savory oatmeal? Me too! Here are other recipes to try with a fried egg!
Savory Oatmeal with Egg & Bacon
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a large pot over medium low heat, brown the bacon for 7 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the pot and set aside onto a paper towel lined plate.
- To the bacon drippings, add oats and cook for 30 seconds to toast. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and allow to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until the oats reach a thick consistency, adding more water in necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add half the cheese and stir to combine. Keep warm.
- While the oatmeal cooks, in a large greased non-stick pan cook eggs sunny-side up or over easy.
- Once the oatmeal is cooked, serve it in a bowl, top with remaining shredded cheese, an egg, bacon bits, and chopped chives, if using.