For weeks where you don’t know if you are coming or going, this Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Skillet Pasta Recipe is one that will be a lifesaver since it goes from the fridge to the table in less than 30 minutes!
Just this week, like many weeks during the school year, I found myself in a six o’clock what-do-I-make-for-dinner-pickle. While I typically meal plan every week, my kids and I are just getting adjusted to homeschooling, a new activity schedule, and mom being back to work in the home office. You could say, that everyone is getting adjusted to the new routine.
Since I can usually put something together out of basic staples I keep at all times in my pantry, fridge, and freezer; this recipe came together quickly in my favorite skillet. If you don’t own a large skillet -large being about 12-14 inches- you are missing out on making easy meals in a single pot! This skillet saves the day multiple times per week since it can handle enough food to feed the whole family.
While you can use fresh chicken and broccoli, I had to use frozen chicken and broccoli I have in the freezer for times like this. The freezer to the rescue!
You can use regular, whole-wheat, or gluten-free pasta for this tasty skillet meal. Clearly, as you can see, it comes together quickly, something we parents love. And, should you not have broccoli around, you can substitute it with peppers, peas, shredded carrots… the possibilities are endless!
And then there is the easy Alfredo sauce. With this easy recipe, there is no need to buy the jar! Fresh, real, and easy to find ingredients are all that make up this recipe –such a bonus for this busy mom!
If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you know that I don’t focus on low-fat, low-cal, low-sugar, low-anything recipes. My goal in the kitchen, like in many other things in life, is to find real and fresh foods that fit our lifestyle. I need to simplify my life, including in the kitchen, our family to-do’s, and at work.
This recipe, encompasses a lot of my kitchen philosophy: make one hearty meal everyone will enjoy that doesn’t take a lot of time to make, made with fresh and real ingredients, and on occasion, indulge a little. I hope you enjoy this recipe in your kitchen as much as I loved sharing it with you today.
What are some of your favorite skillet meals?
Skillet Chicken Alfredo
Easy chicken and broccoli alfredo skillet meal from the fridge to the table in less than 30 minutes that your family will love.
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 8 ounces rotini pasta
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk, or more, as needed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. In the final 3 minutes of cooking, add broccoli to the pasta and cook the remaining time. Drain pasta.
- In a large 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add chicken to skillet and begin to cook, flipping them over once, until they are cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in 1/3 cup Parmesan until well combined, about 1 minute. If the mixture is too thick, add more milk as needed.
- Stir in pasta, broccoli and chicken. Serve and sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 440
- Sugar: 4.7g
- Sodium: 405.3mg
- Fat: 18.2g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 40.4g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 28.6g
- Cholesterol: 86.2g