Tender chicken, corn, black beans, and simmered in a taco-seasoned broth, this slow cooker chicken taco soup is just what you need when you want something big in flavor that doesn’t take a ton of time.
You can assemble the ingredients in the morning and let the slow cooker do the rest while you move on with the day. By the time dinner rolls around, it’s ready to be topped with cheese, sour cream and enjoyed by the bowlful.
Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
This crockpot recipe melds all the delicious flavors of chicken tacos into a hearty, satisfying soup. And since it’s made in the slow cooker, it’s one of those recipes that don’t require more a lot of time in the kitchen.
The chicken is cooked within 3 hours, but the good thing about taco soup is that you can let it simmer on low for a bit without overcooking ingredients. In fact, the longer it simmers and sits, the better it tastes! Just make sure to turn the slow cooker on warm once the chicken is cooked.
I like to serve this with the toppings set out in individual bowls so everyone can top their bowl, sort of like taco night. It’s one of those recipes my entire family agrees on, and leftovers will last a few days, making great thermos lunches the next day.
Nothing fancy needed to make this easy chicken taco soup, just a couple of canned goods, that pound of chicken breasts you didn’t have plans for, and taco seasoning. Here’s the simple ingredient list and suggestions for substitutions, so you don’t have to go to the store:
- Salsa: where does this taco soup get all of it’s flavor? Jarred salsa! Use your favorite variety or brand.
- Beans: I use canned black and pinto beans, but you can swap for your favorite types such as red kidney, white beans, and even chili beans.
- Canned corn: fresh, frozen, or canned- whatever you have on hand.
- Diced tomatoes: these are essential for taco soup. Fire-roasted work too and add more flavor.
- Taco seasoning: use the packets from the grocery store or homemade taco seasoning, about 3 tablespoons worth.
- Chicken breasts: boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs are best (thighs add more flavor). You can also forgo the raw chicken for 3-4 cups shredded rotisserie or leftover chicken meat, add to the soup along with the beans.
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup in the Slow Cooker
Grab your slow cooker and the ingredients above and let’s make this epic taco soup:
Place the chicken breasts, taco seasoning, corn, beans, salsa, tomatoes, and chicken broth in a slow cooker dish. Cover with lid and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked through, use 2 forks to shred the meat and stir it in with the rest of the ingredients.
Ladle the finished soup into bowls and top with all your favorite ingredients.
If you’re using chicken breast or thighs that have already been cooked you’ll need to shred the meat before adding it to the soup. This seems pretty obvious, but there are easier ways to do this that don’t involve using your hands? Let me show you how it’s done in the video below:
Toppings for Your Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
One of the best parts about this taco soup is getting top it like a classic taco. Below are just a few of my favorite fixings:
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Pico de Gallo
You don’t have to stop there. Want to add jalapeños, black olives, or Cotija cheese? Go for it!
Is it Freezer Friendly?
Taco soup freezes beautifully since the texture of the beans, chicken, and tomatoes aren’t affected when frozen or reheated. Here’s every step to freeze and store this chicken taco soup for a quick and yummy meal:
- Allow the soup to cool down to room temperature
- Pack it into large, freezer-safe zip bags.
- Label zip bags with the date and reheating instructions.
- Place bags on a large sheet pan and transfer to the freezer for 2 hours.
- Once frozen, remove them from the sheet pan, and store for up to 2-3 months.
More Slow Cooker Soups
Love the ease and convenience of slow cooker soups? Me too, and here are more family-friendly recipes you can make on busy weekdays for an inviting and healthy meal to enjoy at the end of the day.
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 15- ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15- ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15- ounce can corn, rinsed and drained
- 15- ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped cilantro, optional
- Crushed tortilla chips, optional
- Place the chicken breasts, taco seasoning, corn, beans, salsa, tomatoes, and chicken broth in a slow cooker dish. Cover with lid and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, shred the meat between 2 forks in the slow cooker. Stir to combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with sour cream, avocado, cilantro, and crushed tortilla chips, if using.