My family craves chocolate when they want a treat. I crave berries and cream. I have to admit, that every time I’ve made these strawberry cheesecake ice cream sandwiches, I’ve eaten more than my share.
I love pressing down the two graham cookies and letting the softened creamy berries ooze out. It’s a guilty pleasure I can’t kick. I probably have a really funny face while I am enjoying these; but I can attest that my family members make the same face when they eat chocolate. I guess we are even.
It might be late August but strawberries are still abundant where I live. I love this dessert so much, however, that I’ve made this with frozen berries mid winter. It’s true! Berries are berries; and frozen berries are picked at their ripest… so they are super delicious.
Speaking of freezer berries, how long have yours been in there? It’s time to get them out and use them for this recipe! If you don’t use your stand mixer enough, here is an excuse to use it! Or, go to a friend’s house (like I did) and make the recipe together.
I skipped a step and used store bought graham crackers. Some brands are better than others but I’ll let you determine your purchase. This recipe is very forgiving, so even if you’ve tried to make your own graham cracker recipe and they failed miserably, I suggest you use them as sandwich cookies! Just yesterday I tried making grain free graham crackers and they were not that great (not pictured).
Ok. The cracker part was horrible; not sweet enough, too soft, and overall bland. However, I was able to save my ingredients by using the failed crackers in this recipe! They were great and no one complained!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. If you don’t have strawberries, use blueberries. They work great too!
Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Yield: 12
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 12 – 16 Graham crackers
- 8oz cream cheese
- 24 oz plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons honey
- Wash and chop strawberries, place them on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Place graham crackers on another cookie sheet and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- In your stand mixer (or large bowl) combine cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and lemon juice. Once combined, add in the honey (maple syrup can be used if your family is not a fan of honey.) Fold semi frozen berries into yogurt mixture.
- Line a 13×9 inch baking dish with foil. Break each graham cracker in half and cover the bottom of the dish with a single layer of graham crackers. Reserve remaining ones for later.
- Pour strawberry yogurt mixture on top of graham crackers. Add second layer of graham crackers on top for “top crust”.
- Freeze tray for about 4 hours. When ready to eat, lift foil and cut through with a sharp knife to create individual sandwiches. Remove and cut through (with sharp knife) to create individual sandwiches.
- Serve immediately or wrap individual servings in plastic wrap/foil till ready to serve.
- If you don’t have the suggested pan size, other sizes will work. The concept is the same. Line your pan, fill with berry cream mixture, top with second layer of crackers and freeze.